****Tracker H-1 B extension **Vermont Service Center**

jobas2007

Some of you in this forum is waiting for H1B extension beyond 6 years. I wanted to share my expereince as how to renew DL extension using H1B receipt.

My 6 years of H1B was expired in June and 7th year extension was filed in June 2013 and waiting for the H1B approval. My DL was expired in August. I reached out to four NJ DMV (Lodi, Kilmer road Edison, Randolph NJ etc) and  None of these DMVs are ready even to discuss the DL extesnion based on receipt notice. As soon as they see the Receipt and not the approval notice, they said they cannot give the extension as there was no “until Valid date”. They dont even ready to listen or to discuss the issue.

However at Wayne DMV, its supervisor named George took our paper, created a case in the SAVE system (Alien Verification for Entitlements Program is a web-based service). It took 10 days to get the case resolved (in my case they did two levels of validation). Upon receiving confirmation George (DMV Wayne Supervisor) extended the DL to 240 days from the last visa expiry date.

Note: Do request to create a Case in the SAVE system for the DMV supervisor. If case is created you will get a DL extension when H1B decision is pending.

Link : https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck/

Thanks a lot, KumarMurthy for sharing this information. Did you go to Rahway, NJ DMV. I am in the same boat and planning to visit Rahway, NJ for my DL renewal based on my extension receipt.  

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Case Type : H1B Extension ( 2nd Extension) 

Center: Vermont Service Center

Date Applied : May 7,2013

Current Status: In Processing

Employment Type: Full Time

I saw that USCIS has updated the case processing times to 3.7 month for 30 July 2013. Hearing that VSC has retrogressed after June 2013. What is the real scenario. I am not sure if people started to get approval for applications submitted in May. 

I saw that USCIS has updated the case processing times to 3.7 month for 30 July 2013. Hearing that VSC has retrogressed after June 2013. What is the real scenario. I am not sure if people started to get approval for applications submitted in May. 

The processing times went from 2.7 months in the June 30 report to 3.7 months in the July 31 report -- in other words the H-1B visa petition processing timeframe date did advance a single day past April 10, 2013 in July.  Based on the way the reporting is done, this could mean that the processing timeframe date actually regressed in July.  Since reporting is 60+ days in the past, it is essentially impossible to know what is actually happening at present.

I just called Texas State Driver License Customer Office. They said the local DMV cannot submit a SAVE request.  Can you further clarify if possible?  I went to a Houston local DMV office. They denied my request due to lack of final h1b final notice.  I feel so frustrated right now.  Anyway,  thanks for sharing the information!

To reinforce what was posted above, after several telephone calls with senior Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), Driver License Division personnel (at the regional level with the contact initiated through my state senator versus at the local DPS center), they confirmed that the SAVE system now recognizes the 240 day period of authorized stay beyond the expiry of the H visa and I-94 card when an extension petition has been filed but not yet approved by USCIS.  (I think this maybe in response to the number of people facing this issue this year.)

In fact, I got this information yesterday, and my wife and I went to the Texas DPS center today to submit our documentation for USCIS verification, i.e. case requests in SAVE.  (The local DPS center understood the process, so there seems to be some new training.)  We should get a letter back in 7-10 days that will allow us to finalize renewal of our driver licenses.  (Much better than resorting to paying to change to premium processing just to renew our driver licenses.)

Maryland MVA - DL renewal Process with H1B Pending receipt

I went to a couple of MVA's with my receipt notice and they had no clue what needs to be done. My attorney asked me to visit several MVAs since most employees are unaware of this corner case. Maryland gives an 8 month (240 day) DL extension with a Pending Receipt notice. This is mentioned on their website. Finally I tried Gaithersburg MVA and they opened a SAVE case for me. Within a week they called me again after the SAVE case was verified by them. I got an 8 month extension on my DL.

Take all the documents including previous H1B petition, 'Original' Receipt notice, SSN, Proof of Address, etc.

The process varies from state to state, but try the DMV offices where they are familiar with immigrants. Good luck!

I just called Texas State Driver License Customer Office. They said the local DMV cannot submit a SAVE request. Can you further clarify if possible? I went to a Houston local DMV office. They denied my request due to lack of final h1b final notice. I feel so frustrated right now. Anyway, thanks for sharing the information!

I got routed to Texas DPS general driver license customer service on one call, and they said there was no way to renew your driver license without an approved visa. Simply put, they and the local DPS office that said they cannot submit a SAVE case request are wrong. I went to the Texas DPS Rosenberg "mega center", and they knew what to do (and you can also get in line from home via the Texas DPS web site so there is almost no waiting). Try one of the Texas DPS driver license "mega centers".

My wife and I are still waiting for our letters, but we should be getting them in the next few days. It will allow my wife and I to renew our driver license for 8 months (240 day period of authorized stay) the day after our current visa and driver licenses expire (that is the new rule, you can do an authorized stay renewal, but only after your current visa, I-94 card, and driver license expires). The cost of a short term license is a lot better than $1200 for premium processing.

Catx, thank you so much for sharing the details.  So basically I have to wait until my H1B visa expires.  I am wondering if a save request case via local DPS can be submitted before visa expiration date?  If so, what kind of documents I need bring in?  It seems that you visited the DPS center twice to get it done?

BTW. I want to share my personal experience last week.  I took all my legal documents ( SSN, Visa, H1B renewal receipt,  passport, etc)  to Houston Gessner Mega Center earlier last week.  I even talked to a Gessner Mega Center supervisor. The supervisor mentioned that DPS has became aware of the 240 day period of authorized stay, but insisted that I need get a copy of final approval notice for license renewal. Maybe the new rule became effective later last week.   

I got routed to Texas DPS general driver license customer service on one call, and they said there was no way to renew your driver license without an approved visa. Simply put, they and the local DPS office that said they cannot submit a SAVE case request are wrong. I went to the Texas DPS Rosenberg "mega center", and they knew what to do (and you can also get in line from home via the Texas DPS web site so there is almost no waiting). Try one of the Texas DPS driver license "mega centers".

My wife and I are still waiting for our letters, but we should be getting them in the next few days. It will allow my wife and I to renew our driver license for 8 months (240 day period of authorized stay) the day after our current visa and driver licenses expire (that is the new rule, you can do an authorized stay renewal, but only after your current visa, I-94 card, and driver license expires). The cost of a short term license is a lot better than $1200 for premium processing.

Catx, Thank you so much for the details. Also thanks to Ecotrain for sharing your experience in Mayland.

I will visit a mega center after my H1B visa expires.  I am wondering if a save request case via local DPS can be submitted before visa expiration date?  If so, what kind of documents I need bring in?

I took all my legal documents (SSN, Visa, H1B renewal receipt, passport, etc) to Houston Gessner Mega Center earlier last week.  I was told that DPS has become aware of the 240 day period of authorized stay, but a copy of final approval notice is still needed for license renewal. Maybe the new rule became effective later last week.   

Case Type : H1B Extension

Center : Vermont Service Center

Date Applied : April 16th, 2013

Current Status : RFE as of September 25th

I was able to renew my drivers license in the Edison, NJ with a Receipt Notice on 9\5 without any troubles. I encourage everybody to talk to the DMV officer directly

Catx

Did you use your old I-797A to get the SAVE initiation or did you use the new I-797C? I tried doing this at the Pflugerville office and they said they wouldn't accept it without a valid I-797A. And did you get any update from DHS?

Thanks

I brought a copy of my I-797C Notice of Action for my I-129 H-1B - Specialty occupation - Extension to stay in the U.S. petition, passport with I-94 card, and of course my driver license.  I have not got my letter back from the Texas DPS yet.  I am expecting it at the end of the week.

From what I can surmise the SAVE system recognizing the 240 day period of authorized stay is a recent change.  It would not surprise me that it was a result of the processing backlog at the Vermont Service Center due the large number of filings in April causing so many people to have an issue with their driver license renewals.  Since this appears to be a recent change, many (most) of the local offices do not know about, and continue to say that you need an approved visa / I-797A form.  I suggest you keep at it, specifically requesting that they imitate a SAVE case request to confirm your documentation, and ask them to call their regional or head office to confirm.

I went to a Houston local DMV office today.  Initially they said they could not initiate the secondary verification for me. But they finally did the second verification after calling Austin office.  I am waiting the letter from DMV to notify the results. Hopefully get it by next week sometime.

Hope this information will help other people facing the same issues, and save 1,300 bucks.

I spoke to the Texas DPS regional office today regarding the status of my letter so I can renew my driver license (which expires today). I was told that in line with expectations my SAVE case failed the secondary verification, and has been submitted back to the USCIS for third verification. It is this third verification that is suppose to confirm the 240 day period of authorized stay and thus the 8 month driver license renewal. Currently the Texas DPS is waiting to here back from the USCIS on the third verification.

Still pending. My details

Case Type : H1B Extension (2nd exenstion beyond 6 yrs)

Center: Vermont Service Center

Received  Date: 05/20/2013

Notice Date :     05/20/2013

Current Status: Initial Review 

Employment Type: Full Time

regarding my DL, I was able to renew my DL here in NC. For folks here in NC, and Triangle area, please do not go to the cary office. They would not understand the 240 days, and would not help you either. Go to Durham office - very helpful folks, but  I had get in touch with the Raleigh Central issuance office folks for help to get the renewal. Thanks

Vermont Service Center processing dates are showing as 10-Apr-2013 even on 9/16/2013. This indicates that will be no improvement. The next date when Vermont provides information will around 10/15. Don't see much happening now. I had applied my H1-B extension on 05/07 and I am slowly approaching my 5 month mark.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do?serviceCenter=990&displaySCProcTimes=Service%20Center%20Processing%20Dates

Archived