J1 Waiver, DoS is taking too long time

j1desease

I have applied for J1 waiver based on no-objection statement from home country, so far DoS has received all the documents including NOS etc. its been 3 weeks my case is still pending. my J1 visa was initially sponsored by NIST which is Departemnt of commerce, US govt. Later I moved to a public university in USA and my J1 visa is not sponsered by USA government . The time line I saw online for others so far DoS approve within week or two after they receive NOS. I am curious any suggestions welcome.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have applied for J1 waiver based on no-objection statement from home country, so far DoS has received all the documents including NOS etc. its been 3 weeks my case is still pending. my J1 visa was initially sponsored by NIST which is Departemnt of commerce, US govt. Later I moved to a public university in USA and my J1 visa is not sponsered by USA government . The time line I saw online for others so far DoS approve within week or two after they receive NOS. I am curious any suggestions welcome.

Actual posted time in DOS website is 6 to 8 weeks. Though it used to be quicker earlier there is no obligation on their part to do at the same pace now. You need to wait.

Hi J1desease,

Me to in same situation, DOS received my NOS on 13 December, Yet to get the DOS recommendation, May be due to Christmas and new year vacation it is delaying... They have given time line of 6 to 8 week for the process.

Hi J1desease,

Its same here...my J1 advisory opinion was received on 30th Oct but there systems shows online they received on Dec 12. Even my J1 wavier application is also very close to your with 1 week difference.  

Hi Singh125,

When I applied for the advisory opinion, they took two months to give the advisory opinion, Two months means - DS form and passport date received date updated on DOS website to date at which advisory opinion available at website 

I'm on the same boat as you regarding timeline. I haven't heard anything either. I've seen people who needed a bit more than 8 weeks, which has me scared a little. All you can do is wait, I'm afraid. 

Since your visa was at some point sponsored by the U.S. Government, they might request "sponsor views" from them. Has this happen? 

I wish you all the best.

From those of you who got their NOL received in early to mid December and were sponsored by the U.S. Government at some point (or an international organization that gets funds from the U.S.), have they requested sponsor views? If so, how long did it take them from when they received the NOL till they requested the views?

Hi Sudheesh,

you mean it took 2 months from the date it updated on there website to final opinion on their website.  

In my case they received documents on Oct 30th by FedEx and document status got updated on their website on Dec 12th. Factually it is now more than 2 months on my advisory case. 

It will take as long as it takes.

You need to remember that the last two weeks is typically a vacation period for many in the US.

If you did not want the inconvenience and uncertainty of US immigration processing, you should not have decided to engage in it - so be patient!

Hi Angelcaido,

What is this sponsor view? Did you receive any mail from DoS to provide further information?

When there is U.S. funding involved either directly or indirectly (Fulbright, for example), the DoS requests the views of those who sponsored the visa (they ask them directly). Based on the timelines I've seen, this normally occurs very early in the process after receiving the NOL. However since it seems that they're taking a bit longer than they used to (like people have said, they used to give you answers within 3 weeks), I'm wondering if they're also taking a bit longer to ask for these. I haven't been asked yet, but it is possible that they will. So I I was just wondering. Like it's been said before, all we can do is wait and it will take what it will take. 

Hi singh125,

Yes , it took 2 months from the date it updated on their website to final opinion on their website. More details:

Applied for J1 advisory opinion at DOS website - 7th March 2013

Sent the DS form on - 8th March  (by normal post) 2013

Application received date updated on DOS website - March 29 2013

Advisory opinion decision updated on DOS website - 4th June 2013

For my case the decision was "subjected", So now I am trying for the wavier.

Regards,

Sudheesh

Hi singh125,

Actually me and my senior did graduation from IIT, he did his Phd in " IC engine", where as I did my MS in " IC engine", when he applied for the advisory opinion, DOS  decision  was favour to him .... that is why I tried for the advisory opinion.......but my case DOS decision was subjected.......

Dear all,

In my case the DoS received all the documents including the No Objection Statement on Nov. 19th  (almost 8 weeks) and still the case status shows PENDING.

Please update if any of you have received favorable recommendation letter from DoS.

Hi Kishore.

Did you hear anything from them. I also applied around same time and still waiting for favorable recommendation.

Any way to contact DOS to expedite the process.

Since it's been more than 8 weeks in your case, you can try calling them or email them. See the instructions here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/about/how/how_1463.html. Remember to be polite! I will contact them when more than 8 weeks have past in my case, which hasn't yet.

I'm really sorry it's taking this long for you, and I hope you receive positive news soon. 

Archived