J1 Waiver, DoS is taking too long time

j1desease

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had emailed them last week. Here is what they said:

Our Waiver Review Division is making every effort to offer expedited processing for our J-1visa waiver applicants.  However, due to high volume of applications there can be no guarantee that your wavier will be finished by a particular date.  

Probably a standard response.

• 2 weeks later...

They had my no objection statement for about 2 months and issued favorable recommendation yesterday. Hope many of you would also receive favorable recommendations in next two weeks.

Congratulations! and thank you for letting us know. Please let us know when you get the final waiver from USCIS.

Others: Please share any updates so we can get an idea of the current timeline. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Dear all,

In my case the DoS received all the documents including the No Objection Statement on Nov. 19th  (almost 8 weeks) and still the case status shows PENDING.

Please update if any of you have received favorable recommendation letter from DoS.

Kishore , in your case DOS took almost 9 weeks right ?

Congrats to all those who got their favorable recommendations.

I am in the same boat but I received US government funding for a high school exchange program in 2004. I spent 18 months in my country but I returned for college. My wife is a US citizen and we went for the no objection waiver because hopefully partial completion of the HRR would help my case along with my activities while in the US for college that meet the goals of the J1 program I was on.

Now I am at the Sponsor Views Sent stage and I was wondering if anybody on here is in the same situation? They have had my No Obj Statement for about a month now and sponsor views were sent a couple of weeks ago.

Please share your news if you have any. I will do the same, because this is one of the most frustrating things I have had to deal with in a while.

Peace and good luck.

Finally I have gotten favorable recommendation from DOS. Its after 3 months since I sent all the documents and 2 months they updated status on their website. My experience so far has been very frustrating. Any body has idea about USCIS processing time. My J-1 is expiring in next few months and may have to leave if it wont be done soon.

I appreciate all the suggestion on this forum. 

Finally I have gotten favorable recommendation from DOS. Its after 3 months since I sent all the documents and 2 months they updated status on their website. My experience so far has been very frustrating. Any body has idea about USCIS processing time. My J-1 is expiring in next few months and may have to leave if it wont be done soon.

I appreciate all the suggestion on this forum. 

Congrats !!.. You can apply for H1 once you have the copy of favorable recommendation from DOS. The H1 status may be pending and you may not work until you have the H1 B approved. That way you can' legally 'stay in USA. Contact your International Affairs office to make your stay legal . Pleas let us know when you are getting the recommendation letter and 1 final J1 waiver

Happy to report that DOS finally decided on my case favorably.

Timeline:

27 Nov 2013:         Indian Embassy issued NOC

13 Dec 2013:         DOS received NOC

06 Feb 2014:         DOS "favorable recommendation" sent

Indian side of the process took 1.5 months, while the US side already took more than 2 months. Now my new employer can file H1B while waiting for final USCIS decision.

Few things I learned:

1. It takes ~2 weeks before documents are "received" on j1waiverstatus website after they receive it by post. No need to panic.

2. j1waiverstatus website seems to get updated in the middle of the night (between 1 AM CST and 6 AM CST). So if you are OCD (like me) and keep refreshing that website, the best time is morning. (may be others can confirm this)

3. They always promptly reply when you email them.

I will report back when I get final decision from USCIS.

Congratulations everyone! I recently noticed that  DOS sent favorable recommendation online and here is my timeline:

Recommendation Sent: Feb 7th 2014

No objection Statement received: Jan 9th 2014

Technically, they received No objection Statement on Dec 20th 2013. 

Please update if anyone has received J1 wavier recently n I wish to know how should we proceed from here as I don't know my USCIS case #. Is it we can call them and they can search and tell about our J1 wavier application?

From those of you who got their NOL received in early to mid December and were sponsored by the U.S. Government at some point (or an international organization that gets funds from the U.S.), have they requested sponsor views? If so, how long did it take them from when they received the NOL till they requested the views?

Angelcaido,

Are you dealing with sponsor views because u were funded by the US government at some point? If so I am in the same boat. My sponsor views were requested Jan 15 and I am waiting for the recommendation still. Do u have any updates on urs? I will let u know if mine changes before urs does.

My program was funded by my government, but the money was funneled through an American non-profit that administers scholarships for many governments (including the US).

After more than six weeks, the DoS decided to request sponsor views from them. Thankfully they replied last week and I'm now back to waiting.

I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait now. This process has been incredibly frustrating, but hopefully I will hear news soon.

Good luck!

Hi,

My J1 waiver documents were received(fedex) at St. louis on Jan 8th and the NOC sent by the Indian Embassy was dated 31st december, 2013.

Currently there is no information regarding my case on the status website.

What should I do? Any suggestions. I tried calling and email both. It doesn't help at all.

Congratulations everyone! I recently noticed that  DOS sent favorable recommendation online and here is my timeline:

Recommendation Sent: Feb 7th 2014

No objection Statement received: Jan 9th 2014

Technically, they received No objection Statement on Dec 20th 2013. 

Please update if anyone has received J1 wavier recently n I wish to know how should we proceed from here as I don't know my USCIS case #. Is it we can call them and they can search and tell about our J1 wavier application?

Do not worry and you would be receiving a document from USCIS with case number soon. USCIS has sent the final approval notice for me recently.

Archived