Doubt about graduation and applying for OPT

WaitingforF1

Hi,

I started school in sept 2013 on h4 and got my F1 in april. I am on a valid F1 visa from april 2014.I need to do 12 courses(36 credits) to finish my masters. I did 5 courses(15 credits) while on H4 and 3 courses(9 credits) on F1.Now i am left with 4 more courses(12 credits).

Full time student on f1 is required to take minimum of 9 credits as per the rules.

My options for graduation:

1)Take all the rest of the 4 courses(12 credits) and graduate in January

2)Take only 3 courses(9 credits) this semester and take the last course which is balance in the next semester and graduate in may 2015.

I know that we have to be in valid F1 visa for atleast 365 days to get our opt aproved.I will be 1 year on F1 only by april 2015.

Now my question is it okay to graduate in january and wait untill april 2015 to apply for opt after officially finishing 1 year on F1? Does my feb-april wait time count under 1 year on f1 status even though i graduate in january?

I am confused. Any thoughts,concerns and experiences will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Now my question is it okay to graduate in january and wait untill april 2015 to apply for opt after officially finishing 1 year on F1? Does my feb-april wait time count under 1 year on f1 status even though i graduate in january?

What will be your status after graduation till April??

Once you are graduated, you are no longer a full time student.

It's not that you have to be on F-1 visa for 1 year. You have to be enrolled as a full time student on F-1 status for 1 year. You should consider taking 3 courses now and also 3 in next semester (even if u just need 1 course for graduation). This way you will be a full time student on F-1 for 1 full year which fulfills requirement for OPT. Anyways ask your DSO about OPT requirements. They will explain you in detail.

Archived