Can spouse travel on a B1/B2 visa?

rana123

Hi,

I am working in the US on a H-1B visa. My wife works in Singapore. She would like to visit me here in the US for a couple of weeks. She has a valid B1/B2 visa stamped in her passport.

1) Can she seek entry into the US using the B1/B2? Or does she have to apply for a H-4 visa?

2) If she visits me using a h-4 visa and returns to Singapore, will it have any impact on her ability to get an L-1 or H-1B in the future?

Thanks,

Rana

Hi,

I am working in the US on a H-1B visa. My wife works in Singapore. She would like to visit me here in the US for a couple of weeks. She has a valid B1/B2 visa stamped in her passport.

1) Can she seek entry into the US using the B1/B2? Or does she have to apply for a H-4 visa?

2) If she visits me using a h-4 visa and returns to Singapore, will it have any impact on her ability to get an L-1 or H-1B in the future?

Thanks,

Rana

(1) Yes, she can visit you on B1/B2

(2) No impact at all

Thanks for your responses. Just one last query: I understand that an H-4 visa holder cannot work in the US. But some forums out there suggest that an H-4 visa holder cannot work anywhere in the world!!! Is it true? Sounds illogical but I need to confirm because my wife intends to return to Singapore and continue with her job there.

Rana

Thanks for your responses. Just one last query: I understand that an H-4 visa holder cannot work in the US. But some forums out there suggest that an H-4 visa holder cannot work anywhere in the world!!! Is it true? Sounds illogical but I need to confirm because my wife intends to return to Singapore and continue with her job there.

Rana

From what I have read in JoeF replies, when physically present in US a person on H4 can not work for any employers in and out of US. Once a person on H4 leaves US there is no such restriction

• 11 months later...

Hi Rana,

I have the same issue right now. I have an H1B and my wife has an B1 visa. She has previously visited the US on official trips, twice within the last year. I was hoping that she could come and visit me later this year during the holiday season.

I was wondering what did you do in your case?

Did your wife visit you and did you face any challenges pertaining to her visit?

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kanishk

Archived