Visa Stamping and Passport Expiry Inquiry for Indian Citizen on H1-B in the US

sravan.n

I am an Indian citizen currently residing in the US on an H1-B visa. My passport is set to expire in November 2024. Additionally, my approved I-797 is valid until October 2025. I have an upcoming visa stamping appointment scheduled for next month, in September 2023. I am unsure whether I will receive a visa stamp only until November 2024 or until October 2025. Should I proceed with my current passport's expiration date in November 2024, or is it necessary for me to obtain a new passport before attending the visa stamping appointment?

Thanks

Your visa will be issued until October 2025. US visa validity is not limited by passport expiration, because a valid visa in an expired passport can be used in combination with an unexpired passport of the same type from the same country.

However, the period of admission on your I-94 will be limited to passport expiration. So if you do not renew your passport before re-entering the US, then you will only be admitted until November 2024, and when that date comes, you will have to either have your employer file H1b extension for you, or leave and re-enter the US on a new passport. On the other hand, if you renew your passport before re-entering the US, then you can enter the US on that new passport (no matter if the visa is on the new passport or old passport) and be admitted until your H1b petition approval date of October 2025.

Edited by newacct