Re-Activating H1-B


Recommended Posts


I was previously employed in the US under a H1-b for ~3 years and left ~2 years ago. During those 2 years I have re-entered the US as a tourist. I have read that it is possible to re-activate/re-apply for the H1-b without going through the regular caps in this circumstance, but wanted to check whether my entry to the US under a different VISA (the ESTA Visa waiver program) during this time would invalidate my flexibility to do this?

Thanks in advance!


Link to comment

Once you have been subject to the H1 cap, you are entitled to a total of 6 years in H1 status . In your case you are entitled to 6 years minus the one year you have been in H1 status. Your tourist entry is not relevant to the matter. You will need to find a H1 sponsor to file and get a H1 petition approved for you and then come over with a H1 visa to start work.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Zodiac System said:

H1b is filed by the employer.  Find an employer who is willing to file your H1b (change of status) with the help of your previously approved H1b's. Good Luck!

COS is not allowed when the person is in the US on a visa waiver. The OP needs to find an employer who filed an H1 petition. Once approved the OP can enter the US with an H1 visa.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.