221g admin processing - stuck in india

Ad03

I am a full-time employee with a reputed company in the US.

Background: Back in 2018 , I was flagged for secondary screening at US customs on my return from Peru on a business trip (Duration -1 week).I had visited my Employer’s office in Peru. I was made to wait for 20-30 mins and then the customs officer asked me few basic questions (employer name, visa end date etc.. ) and allowed me to enter US.

Following month I had travelled to Costa Rica on a business trip(3 days,visited Employer’s Office )and on my return , the CBP officer asked if I was arrested before, I replied No. She asked if I was sure , I said yes and then she had assigned me for secondary screening. Again I was made to wait for 20-30 mins and then the customs officer asked few basic questions ( no mention of arrest or anything) and let me go.

I had come to India for visa stamping in Aug 2019( Same employer , second extension, i140 approved ,7th year of H1B)

Aug 24th: submitted docs at dropbox location

Aug 30th: returned passport with a yellow slip, requesting to appear for interview 

sep 4th : appeared for interview. Basic questions asked(how long is the extension for, job title,educational qualification ) , asked if I had any issues with customs and I explained everything. The visa officer asked if I was asked to appear in court , I said No. Took my passport, provided a white 221g slip with admin processing checked ( no additional docs asked).

Oct-16: received a note to collect the passport. No stamp, just another 221g letter(white) with same application ID, admin processing checked and no additional docs requested.

It has been over 45 days and there has been no update on the case.It shows as admin processing .My employer was not contacted for any background processing. Any suggestions on what I can do?

i have had a clean history , living in the US for past 6 years.

My lawyer stated that my passport must’ve been flagged due to  a mistaken identity. Is there anything I can do to find out more about it or fix it?

On 10/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, Ad03 said:

Background: Back in 2018 , I was flagged for secondary screening at US customs on my return from Peru on a business trip (Duration -1 week).I had visited my Employer’s office in Peru. I was made to wait for 20-30 mins and then the customs officer asked me few basic questions (employer name, visa end date etc.. ) and allowed me to enter US.

Following month I had travelled to Costa Rica on a business trip(3 days,visited Employer’s Office )and on my return , the CBP officer asked if I was arrested before, I replied No. She asked if I was sure , I said yes and then she had assigned me for secondary screening. Again I was made to wait for 20-30 mins and then the customs officer asked few basic questions ( no mention of arrest or anything) and let me go.

I had come to India for visa stamping in Aug 2019( Same employer , second extension, i140 approved ,7th year of H1B)

Aug 30th: returned passport with a yellow slip, requesting to appear for interview 

sep 4th : appeared for interview. Basic questions asked(how long is the extension for, job title,educational qualification ) , asked if I had any issues with customs and I explained everything. The visa officer asked if I was asked to appear in court , I said No. Took my passport, provided a white 221g slip with admin processing checked ( no additional docs asked).

Oct-16: received a note to collect the passport. No stamp, just another 221g letter(white) with same application ID, admin processing checked and no additional docs requested.

It has been over 45 days and there has been no update on the case.It shows as admin processing .My employer was not contacted for any background processing. Any suggestions on what I can do?

My lawyer stated that my passport must’ve been flagged due to  a mistaken identity. Is there anything I can do to find out more about it or fix it?

I don't think there is too much you can do. Only suggestion would be to get in touch with a Murthy firm attorney to see if they can help in anyway. Not recommending but one of my friend's took this route last year when he got 221G issue and he got some help.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:59 PM, Ad03 said:

if you have been flagged so frequently at the POE and customs, why did you choose to go to India for stamping. Just curious. YOu should have tried going to mexico. it would have been easier and faster.

1 hour ago, Tjgarla said:

if you have been flagged so frequently at the POE and customs, why did you choose to go to India for stamping. Just curious. YOu should have tried going to mexico. it would have been easier and faster.

He would probably also have gotten a 221, and then he would have that to go to his home country, anyway. It is always more risky to get stamping in a 3rd country.

Edited by JoeF
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 12:49 AM, shekar11# said:

I don't think there is too much you can do. Only suggestion would be to get in touch with a Murthy firm attorney to see if they can help in anyway. Not recommending but one of my friend's took this route last year when he got 221G issue and he got some help.

Thank you for the response.

Could you provide few details on what was the issue your friend faced?

• 2 weeks later...