Should passport be renewed before going for Visa Stamping ?

Hi Team,

My wife's H4 extension is approved until July 31st , 2022. but her passport is getting expired in  Nov 2021. should she be getting her Passport renewed before going for Visa stamping in June 2019 ?

She already has Visa stamped on the current passport till 31st July 2019 and she will have close to 16 months left before her passport gets expired.

Request you to kindly advise sooner so that we can action immediatly.

thanks

14 hours ago, Santhosh_Kadiyala said:

Hi Team,

My wife's H4 extension is approved until July 31st , 2022. but her passport is getting expired in  Nov 2021. should she be getting her Passport renewed before going for Visa stamping in June 2019 ?

She already has Visa stamped on the current passport till 31st July 2019 and she will have close to 16 months left before her passport gets expired.

Request you to kindly advise sooner so that we can action immediatly.

thanks

You cannot get a passport extension 2 years before expiry date. She can go for stamping. She will get visa till July 2022, but at port of entry she will get I-94 till Nov 2021. You need to make sure to mark that date and apply for I-94 extension after she gets the new passport.

20 hours ago, 02112018 said:

It is better to have a renewed passport to get a new visa stamping until July 2022, if your wife is planning to attend visa interview. If passport isn't renewed then the visa will be issued until Nov 2021.

That is not right. You get visa for full duration but I-94 will be only till passport expiry.

20 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

You can apply passport only 6 months before expiry. Only requirement regarding passport for visa stamping is that one the day of visa issuance the passport must have minimum 6 months of validity. Since your wife wants to attend visa stamping in June 2019 and her passport is valid till Nov 2021 she is good to attend visa interview.

Just FYI.. You can renew 1 year before your current passport expires.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, 02112018 said:

It is better to have a renewed passport to get a new visa stamping until July 2022, if your wife is planning to attend visa interview. If passport isn't renewed then the visa will be issued until Nov 2021.

Wrong information. Visa validity has nothing to do with Passport validity. While entering USA her I94 will only be issued till validity of passport. 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, shekar11# said:

That is not right. You get visa for full duration but I-94 will be only till passport expiry.

It is better to get a renewed passport. She will ge the VISA till July 2022, but she will get a shorter i94 at the port of entry when she is returning to USA since her passport is expiring. the new i94 will be only till November 2121.