Business Visa and L1 visa

Ram Harish

From May 15 2016, I started working for an Indian consulting company based in India. The company also has a location in New York, US. My project is with a US client based in San Diego. I work from India.

1. Initially my client wants me to come onsite (in San Diego, CA) temporarily and work on the project until I get used to his product. Since USCIS is not accepting H1 applications any more, my Indian company is thinking about sending me on Business/Travel Visa. But we are not clear if that is allowed. The eligibility requirement for business visa says that if I visit US on Business Visa, I'm allowed to work only as a consultant for the US company I'm visiting. And the US company is NOT allowed to PAY me for the work I do. But since the US company pays to my Indian company, and Indian company pays my salary in India, am I eligible for business visa?

2. One other visa my Indian company is considering is L1 visa. But I heard that not all companies can sponsor L1 visa. Does anyone know what makes a company qualify for L1 filing? Please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

The company doesn't seem to have any experience with these things.

They need to consult with an immigration lawyer.

An L1 is out of the question if a) the company doesn't have an office in the US and b) you haven't worked for a year with the company abroad.

Archived