i94 and visa expires but i797 valid

ramkrs80

I entered the US yesterday and my current visa and i-94 expires aug 2016.

However my i797 is valid until 2018. 

Am I good to continue staying back in the US after aug 2016 with my i797 or Do I need to get it stamped.

I was also wondering if the officer should have issued the i94 until my i797 date instead of my current visa expiration date.

They admit you until passport expiration or visa expiration date whichever comes earlier. You will have to extend your admit until date on I-94 after getting a new passport.

I am in the same boat as you. I will be traveling back to US later this month and my passport will be valid for 6 months + few days when I will reach US. How long was your passport valid for when you entered US? Did the CBP officer mention anything about passport expiration at immigration?

They admit you until passport expiration or visa expiration date whichever comes earlier. You will have to extend your admit until date on I-94 after getting a new passport.

I am in the same boat as you. I will be traveling back to US later this month and my passport will be valid for 6 months + few days when I will reach US. How long was your passport valid for when you entered US? Did the CBP officer mention anything about passport expiration at immigration?

My passport is good until 2021. Its just that my visa and i94 expire Aug 2016.

My i797 is good until 2018

Do I need to get my passport stamped of the new visa or should the CBP officer stamped it till my i797 date ?

There is no issue with my passport expiry itself .

You can go to the nearest CBP office and explain them the situation. Or just simply cross the border and enter with a valid H1B visa and I797.

Archived