Can my spouse travel while H4 extension is in progress

sundar14

Here's the situation:

H4 visa expiry: May 2016

Extension to be applied in December 2016

Spouse needs to be in India for at least 3 months (family reasons) - Dec 2015-Feb 2016

Questions: 

a. Can my spouse travel while her H4 renewal is in progress?

b. When she comes back by end of Feb/early march, her H4 extension may have been approved by then (with a renewed I94) but her passport visa stamp will still validity for May 2016 only. Per the 'last action rule' will her H4 extension be voided and her new I-94 be granted only until May 2016?

Any advise you can share would be of great help!

Thanks, Sundar

Thank you both for your responses. It sounds like we may be better off applying her H4 after she comes back in February.

Question for Jairichi:

1. Re your response to #2 :  "When she enters US on H4 she needs a copy of your I797. Based on that she will get her I94".

2. Will she need to carry her original renewed H4 petition (which has a renewed I94) while she is traveling back?

Thanks Sundar

Thank you both for your responses. It sounds like we may be better off applying her H4 after she comes back in February.

Question for Jairichi:

1. Re your response to #2 :  "When she enters US on H4 she needs a copy of your I797. Based on that she will get her I94".

2. Will she need to carry her original renewed H4 petition (which has a renewed I94) while she is traveling back?

Thanks Sundar

Your I797 matters. So, provide your spouse with a copy of that.

Archived