Engineer to Manager promotion

Hi,

I work in a very well established large company. I just got my H1-B renewal approved and employer is going to start my GC application process soon.

I have a Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering and am working in an engineering position with the company. I am being offered a promotion to a managerial position. In this position, I  will be managing the same engineering team I work with. This position is going to be essentially what I am currently doing + managing other Biomedical Engineers (position involves managerial responsibilities like hiring/firing/employee evals/training and development etc.)

1.) Question is, considering I take up the promotion, should my H1-B amendment LCA be filed under Biomedical Engineer (as my Master's is in that field) or as an Engineering Manager / Manager, all others ?

2.) And subsequently, how should it be done for GC application ?

3.) Considering that I do not have an advanced degree in management, would it lead to any issues with H1-B amendment or GC ?

I kindly request all of you to share your feedback/advice about this. Please help...

** I know and fully understand that I do not qualify to file for GC under EB1C category and I do not intend to use this promotion to do so. My GC would be filed under EB2.

• 1 month later...

1.) Question is, considering I take up the promotion, should my H1-B amendment LCA be filed under Biomedical Engineer (as my Master's is in that field) or as an Engineering Manager / Manager, all others ?

Depends on your JD, but most likely as a manager and not an engineer. IC and manager roles are two distinct functions with different responsibilities.

2.) And subsequently, how should it be done for GC application ?

You will need to file for the new position and if you revert to an IC role, you will need to re-file all over again.

3.) Considering that I do not have an advanced degree in management, would it lead to any issues with H1-B amendment or GC ?

Not necessarily, but you can get a good attorney to review your situation before proceeding.

Archived