Recently acquired EU citizenship. Old US B1/B2 visa

tomtom

Dear All,

I recently acquired EU citizenship and have a valid B1/B2 visa on my non-EU passport.

Given that I will travel for business/tourism soon to the US and when I present my new EU passport at Border control it many show up as 'first time' traveller to the US, which is not true since I have traveled a multitude of times to the US on various visas (Fyi never had any entry problem ever whatsoever).

Do I need to mention that I hold/held valid US visas from the US and show my old non_EU passport as well for them to cross reference my travel history which would make my entry as a first time EU citizen smoother?

Thanks.

Maybe I should've been a bit more clear. My question is do I need to inform the border officer that I was a prior traveller on another country's passport?

Jairichi: AFAIK, the Indian embassy/consulate typically cuts off a corner of the passport and stamps it cancelled and returns it back to the person. I doubt they keep it. 

Thanks.

Maybe I should've been a bit more clear. My question is do I need to inform the border officer that I was a prior traveller on another country's passport?

Jairichi: AFAIK, the Indian embassy/consulate typically cuts off a corner of the passport and stamps it cancelled and returns it back to the person. I doubt they keep it. 

If asked you need to.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. They will cancel your passport and return it to you along with a surrender certificate. Do not know whether they changed this procedure.

Generally, visas, even in cancelled passports, stay valid until their expiration dates. That's why people can show both the current passport and the old passport with the valid visa just fine.

Having said that, this is known to work for the same citizenship, i.e., both old and new passport from the same country.

If a person changed citizenship, the person would probably have to have a document showing that, to verify that the old passport is indeed for the same person.

It is much easier to just get a new visa in the new passport.

And as Pontevecchio mentioned, if the EU country qualifies for the visa waiver, you wouldn't need a B1/B2 visa at all. If you qualify for the visa waiver, it is actually very hard to get a B1/B2 visa, because you would have to explain to the consulate why you want to stay in the US for more than 3 months (most people who have jobs can't get 3 months of vacation.)

Thanks to all for the info.

Joe,

You also make a valid point about the 3 month vs the 6 month stay duration that one gets on a visa waiver vs visa.

Thanks.

If you qualify for the visa waiver, it is actually very hard to get a B1/B2 visa, because you would have to explain to the consulate why you want to stay in the US for more than 3 months 

Archived