Traveling back to India from US without a valid visa on the passport

robby_254

Hi 

I came to US early 2014 and I had my Visa stamped on my passport which was valid until December 2014. I changed my employer after coming to the US and got my H1 extended till April 2017 but I haven't gone back to India after that so the stamped visa on my passport still says it is valid till December 2014.

Now I am planning to go  to India and I would like to know if I can go via Germany or Canada. I browsed through the internet for this information but nothing was clear. Some mention on what to do when you travel with the "expired" visa  but I am not sure if I fall in that category because technically I am legally allowed to stay in the US because I got my H1 extension done till 2017. 

Following link has some information but it was not clear either. I did not understand the "Required" or "Not Required" under the column "Expired USA Visa". What does it even mean? First of all, should I consider my visa "expired" because the one stamped on my passport is expired OR should I consider a "valid" visa because I have my H1b extended and I have the approved I797?

http://www.*************.com/**************.html

Kindly help me. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much! 

I was in semilar situation week back, I was able to travel TO India through Germany (Frankfurt) with expired U.S visa with  4 hour layover between flights. (U.S-Franfurt-India). No questions asked, U.S Air ways.

How many stops you planning to have in euro area before you reach India ?. IF its a single stop, you can travel. However i recommend you double check with airlines.

Good luck!

I was in semilar situation week back, I was able to travel TO India through Germany (Frankfurt) with expired U.S visa with  4 hour layover between flights. (U.S-Franfurt-India). No questions asked, U.S Air ways.

How many stops you planning to have in euro area before you reach India ?. IF its a single stop, you can travel. However i recommend you double check with airlines.

Good luck!

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Visa.html

• Exceptions: Nationals from the above list are entitled to transit through the international transit zones without an airport transit visa:

1. If they hold a valid visa for the United States of America

2. If they return from the USA after having used the visa

Archived