Is long term unemployment OK for citizenship ??

s_sonune

Hi,

My GC 5 year Anniversary is on July 2016. My employment was terminated on July 2014. I am unemployed since then and I am NOT planning to take up any job until July 2016. I satisfy eligibility criteria mentioned on USCIS site. I am NOT claiming any unemployment benefits. I file taxes every year and do not own anything to IRS.

Question1 : Do you see any concern in any stage in citizenship process because of long unemployment (almost 2 years) period ? I have read at so many places that unemployment does not affect citizenship but I have NOT read anything about long term unemployment situation such as mine. I can explain very well in the interview how can I make living despite unemployment.

Question 2: Eligibility requirement on USCIS site mentions that "Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant's place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application".

Please clarify the above point with the following situation:

I am living in Seattle from last 5 years and my current address will be my primary/permanent address in citizenship application. If I go to India on short vacation say for 2-3 months and return to US to same primary residence, can I file for citizenship immediately after coming from India (assuming I satisfy all other citizenship eligibility criteria) OR as per the above clause, I'll have to wait for 3 months ??

Thanks

Unemployment benefits are not public aid, so there is no problem claiming that.

Also, unemployment doesn't matter for citizenship. Otherwise, home makers could never get citizenship.

What they are concerned about, though, is how you are surviving. If you have a working spouse or other legal ways to earn money there is no problem.

• 3 years later...

Archived