Medical Student clinical rotations - 6 months entry

waitgame27

Hello,

I am citizen of India on B1/B2 visa (valid for 10 years) and am on Medical School Clinical rotations in US. Unfortunately rotations are not allowed on F1 Student visa. 

Downfall to B1/B2 is I get a max of 6 months entry. I tried requesting more at port of entry but i was only given 6 months. 

I wanted to check if its possible to travel to Canada (granted I get a visa) and come back to US to get another 6 months of entry. Or can I travel to any other country nearby? Any risks in this?

I am trying to avoid to go back to India just to reenter the US.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks a lot for your time.

Hello,

I am citizen of India on B1/B2 visa (valid for 10 years) and am on Medical School Clinical rotations in US. Unfortunately rotations are not allowed on F1 Student visa. 

Downfall to B1/B2 is I get a max of 6 months entry. I tried requesting more at port of entry but i was only given 6 months. 

I wanted to check if its possible to travel to Canada (granted I get a visa) and come back to US to get another 6 months of entry. Or can I travel to any other country nearby? Any risks in this?

I am trying to avoid to go back to India just to reenter the US.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks a lot for your time.

You can file for extension of status using form I-539, supporting documents and fee while being in US.

• 3 weeks later...

I have close to 1.5 years to finish my rotations.

Can I apply for more than one extension on single i-94?

I also read that i can travel to places in South America like Costa Rica, Mexico for a weekend and come back to get another f1 entry. How safe is this? Can I be questioned that I am mixing extension and traveling out of country for just few days to seek entry back to US.

Please advice.

I have close to 1.5 years to finish my rotations.

Can I apply for more than one extension on single i-94?

I also read that i can travel to places in South America like Costa Rica, Mexico for a weekend and come back to get another f1 entry. How safe is this? Can I be questioned that I am mixing extension and traveling out of country for just few days to seek entry back to US.

Please advice.

Extensions are given for a max of 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Please advice. Thanks.

Please advice. Thanks.

You can try but entry is not always guaranteed. You might get a shorter authorization to stay.

Archived