Change of employer after I-140 approval - In a dilemma

ursjanpal

Hello Experts,

My H1-B visa is valid till 09/30/2015, a 3 year extension was given following the six year H1-B period, based on an approved I-140. I am thinking of changing my employer now and my green card process (PERM/Labor) would be started after 1 year as told by the new company. Assuming I join my new employer by middle of March this year, my PERM won't be started until March 2015. Nowadays, PERM takes on an average 6-8 months, which means it won't be approved until November 2015, if filed in May 2015. But an extension of my H1B visa needs to be filed well before 09/30/2015. On what basis will I get an extension from USCIS?

The new company has also told that they will port my I-140 priority date, which is 04/03/2011 when the time comes after approval of PERM. What if my previous employer revokes my I-140. Can they do this? I have heard that once an I-140 is approved, it belongs to the employee unless USCIS revokes it due to some fraud or misinterpretation.

Appreciate your response on this.

Hello Experts,

My H1-B visa is valid till 09/30/2015, a 3 year extension was given following the six year H1-B period, based on an approved I-140. I am thinking of changing my employer now and my green card process (PERM/Labor) would be started after 1 year as told by the new company. Assuming I join my new employer by middle of March this year, my PERM won't be started until March 2015. Nowadays, PERM takes on an average 6-8 months, which means it won't be approved until November 2015, if filed in May 2015. But an extension of my H1B visa needs to be filed well before 09/30/2015. On what basis will I get an extension from USCIS?

The new company has also told that they will port my I-140 priority date, which is 04/03/2011 when the time comes after approval of PERM. What if my previous employer revokes my I-140. Can they do this? I have heard that once an I-140 is approved, it belongs to the employee unless USCIS revokes it due to some fraud or misinterpretation.

Appreciate your response on this.

If employer does not revoke I-140 then based on that 3 year extensions can be requested.

Even if previous employer revokes I-140 you can still retain priority date.

I have few similar question, I too have approved I-140 and my H1 expires in 09/30/2015. Please help if you know the answers.

- If I change the employer, will I get a three year extension with my new employer based on my approved I-140 from current employer? Or I will get extension till the time I have a client letter for from new employer?

- Does approve I-140 mean I will get extension for 3 years now even if I change the employer? or it will still be based on project letter from the client?

Thanks Jairichi. So in a nutshell, if my current employer revokes my I-140, I can still continue working till the validity on my H1-B with my new employer and my new employer needs to initiate the PERM process again before 09/30/2015, which is the end date of my H1-B (3 years extension period  after 6 years)

So, based on what criteria will my H1-B visa be extended beyond 09/30/2015, is it the till the end date of the duration of my project at a client site?

I consulted an immigration attorney recently regarding this and this was told that as per "Aytes memo of Dec. 27, 2005, an I-140 is no longer valid for porting purposes when an I-140 is withdrawn" This however contradicts many of the experts here, as far as I know by reading the forum messages, even if an I-140 is withdrawn, an employee can retain the priority date. Any light on this would be much appreciated?

Thanks Jairichi for the response. So essentially in a nutshell, if I change my employer, my new employer can port the PD from my approved I-140, and this stays the same even if my I-140 is revoked. But the transfer of my H1-B visa needs to be done before I-140 gets revoked and an extension of my H1-B validity period beyond 09/30/2015 is dependent on a new PERM filing by my new employer well before 09/30/2015.

So, on what basis will I get an extension of H1-B after 09/30/2015, is it the end date of my project with a specific client?

I also managed to consult an immigration attorney and this is what he said "Under the Aytes memo of Dec. 27, 2005, an I-140 is no longer valid for porting purposes when an I-140 is withdrawn"

ts, please help.

This however contradicts the fact that I-140 belongs to an employee even if it gets revoked. Experts please help

Will be denied if I-140 is revoked before extension approval. You would need to go under cap again.

Thanks Jairichi. So in a nutshell, if my current employer revokes my I-140, I can still continue working till the validity on my H1-B with my new employer and my new employer needs to initiate the PERM process again before 09/30/2015, which is the end date of my H1-B (3 years extension period  after 6 years)

So, based on what criteria will my H1-B visa be extended beyond 09/30/2015, is it the till the end date of the duration of my project at a client site?

I consulted an immigration attorney recently regarding this and this was told that as per "Aytes memo of Dec. 27, 2005, an I-140 is no longer valid for porting purposes when an I-140 is withdrawn" This however contradicts many of the experts here, as far as I know by reading the forum messages, even if an I-140 is withdrawn, an employee can retain the priority date. Any light on this would be much appreciated?

Did you pay the Lawyer for advise? H1 extensions are based on project ending  which only applies in case of consultancies and layers . Second guessing a Lawyer needs another lawyer. No such rule. USCIS interpretation is that the PD of an approved I-140 is available for a subsequent filing in the absence of fraud. Did you actually pay a Lawyer or ask online? I suggest the firm of Murthy as a suitable one to keep on retainer during your journey.

• 1 year later...

Experts,

I need your help for below situation.

I am on H1 B in 9th year and 140 is approved with my current company. I got offer from new company and they are ready to file  H1 transfer in premium and GC after 3 months.

My current company is going to revoke 140 as soon as I leave the current company.

My question is if current company revoke 140 will I be able to use my PD with new company 140?

There is some new about

BIA Decision Brings Uncertainty to Priority Date Retention After I-140 Revocation

Is this going to impact my OD on new company 140? 

• 10 months later...

Archived