Indian born british citizen GC processing time

Hello There

I am completely new to US Immigration system and I am currently considering moving to America and have below question and hope you can help me.

I was born and brought up in India. Immediately after completing my Bachelors degree I moved to the UK, I studied and worked in the UK and currently hold a British passport.

I do have an offer to work in USA and the employer is happy to sponcer VISA too. I understand that I need to apply for greencard immediately which has a big long queue.

Will I be in the British applications queue or Indian applications queue? Please advice.

Thanks in advance

Thrinadh

Hello There

I am completely new to US Immigration system and I am currently considering moving to America and have below question and hope you can help me.

I was born and brought up in India. Immediately after completing my Bachelors degree I moved to the UK, I studied and worked in the UK and currently hold a British passport.

I do have an offer to work in USA and the employer is happy to sponcer VISA too. I understand that I need to apply for greencard immediately which has a big long queue.

Will I be in the British applications queue or Indian applications queue? Please advice.

Thanks in advance

Thrinadh

Indian as it is the country of birth and not the country of citizenship that one holds is taken into consideration.

"I understand that I need to apply for green card immediately which as a big long queue" -- you should start the permanent residency ("green card") process as soon as possible if that is your goal.  There is no "need".  You would come to the U.S. on an employer sponsored employment visa (probably H-1B).  For most people the permanent residency process involves a number of steps that have to be filed and approved before you can apply for the actual permanent residency visa ("green card").

"Will I be in the British applications queue of Indian applications queue" -- your country of chargeability is your country of birth (not your country of current citizenship), so for U.S. immigration you will be in the Indian quotas.

YOU cannot apply for GC except in very specific cases which few people qualify for. In order not to be disappointed in your GC quest, you need to learn more about the process. Not everyone who desires a GC will be able to get one.

Begin by reading the USCIS website. It has the current forms for download. It also describes the differences in the requirements for different GC filings.

If you still have questions, you should discuss your options with a US immigration attorney.

Archived