Need Urgent advice on B-2 Visa Extension


soudamini29

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I need some urgent advice on Extension of my parents B-2 Visas.

They came to USA on Oct 9th 2013 and they are scheduled to stay until March 18th 2014(5 months 10 days). According to their I-94 date they can stay here until April 8th 2014. But we want to file for an extension of their visit upto June 18th( 2 months more) as we are buying a new home here and we want them to stay here for the housewarming in april and also spend some time in our new home. Now I have few questions

 

1) Is this a valid enough reason to apply for an extension or should we say that we want to show them more tourist places since we cldnt cover many places bcoz of cold weather which is absolutely true.

 

2) After applying for an extension, if we don't get an answer before April 8th ( I-94 expiry date), can they stay here in USA while they are waiting for an answer?

 

3) should we postpone their ticket to Jun and then apply for an extension showing the ticket as evidence ?

 

4) what happens to their Visa if they are still here after april 8th and

   a) their extension is accepted

   b) their extension is denied.

 

5) what happens to their visa if they stay after april 8th but leave before they get an answer, and they get a denial for extension after they leave?

 

Thank you in advance for your help !!

 

Link to comment

If they overstay the I94 their current visa is deemed cancelled if the EOS is subsequently denied. If they apply for an extension and leave before the I94 expiry if no decision by then there is no consequence to a later denial. Getting a new visa if the current visa is cancelled is not a major issue. But why ? That's for you to decide.

Link to comment

Hi,

I need some urgent advice on Extension of my parents B-2 Visas.

They came to USA on Oct 9th 2013 and they are scheduled to stay until March 18th 2014(5 months 10 days). According to their I-94 date they can stay here until April 8th 2014. But we want to file for an extension of their visit upto June 18th( 2 months more) as we are buying a new home here and we want them to stay here for the housewarming in april and also spend some time in our new home. Now I have few questions

 

1) Is this a valid enough reason to apply for an extension or should we say that we want to show them more tourist places since we cldnt cover many places bcoz of cold weather which is absolutely true.

 

2) After applying for an extension, if we don't get an answer before April 8th ( I-94 expiry date), can they stay here in USA while they are waiting for an answer?

 

3) should we postpone their ticket to Jun and then apply for an extension showing the ticket as evidence ?

 

4) what happens to their Visa if they are still here after april 8th and

   a) their extension is accepted

   b) their extension is denied.

 

5) what happens to their visa if they stay after april 8th but leave before they get an answer, and they get a denial for extension after they leave?

 

Thank you in advance for your help !!

1. I don't think so. Both reasons are not valid enough to request an extension.

2. Yes, but better to exit before a denial notice on extension is sent from USCIS.

3. Won't help.

4. 

a. They should be fine till I94 expiry date according to extension approval notice.

b. Visa becomes invalid.

5. Should be fine.

Link to comment

 But we want to file for an extension of their visit upto June 18th( 2 months more) as we are buying a new home here and we want them to stay here for the housewarming in april and also spend some time in our new home. Now I have few questions

 

1) Is this a valid enough reason to apply for an extension or should we say that we want to show them more tourist places since we cldnt cover many places bcoz of cold weather which is absolutely true.

 

You know that it will be cold in Nov, don't you??

For ext of stay, you should have a valid reason. Housewarming or cold weather will not help you.

Link to comment

To suggest they give any reason but the truth for the reason for their extension does not speak well to you character or ethical standards.

 

A home purchase is not a qick process. THey should have delayed their trip in order to be here for a "housewarming" which is a non-event.

Link to comment

To suggest they give any reason but the truth for the reason for their extension does not speak well to you character or ethical standards.

 

A home purchase is not a qick process. THey should have delayed their trip in order to be here for a "housewarming" which is a non-event.

Thanks for taking time to reply. But I don't see from where does my character or ethical standards come here. A Home purchase is not a quick process but it is not a 6 months process always and neither them nor we know that we will purchase a house until 15 days back and now it will take only a month to finish the closing process. Wanting our parents to be with us when we move into our first own home doesn't sound unethical to me. I agree that it might not be a good reason for USCIS.

Link to comment

1. I don't think so. Both reasons are not valid enough to request an extension.

2. Yes, but better to exit before a denial notice on extension is sent from USCIS.

3. Won't help.

4. 

a. They should be fine till I94 expiry date according to extension approval notice.

b. Visa becomes invalid.

5. Should be fine.

Thank you for the reply !!

Link to comment

zOP, when you ask about the best lie to tell, it does speak to your character.

 

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH TO US IMMIGRATION.

 

US people do not care one bit about a so called "housewarming".  It certainly does not rise to the importance of a "holiday" type event. If you want to celebrate it as an occasion, they can do so on their next visit.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.