US Army Mavni - on F1 OPT

mavinash123

Hello members,

Did anyone in this situation ?

I am about to enlist in US Army and will be shipped to Basic combat training.

I heard that once I shipped, my F1 status will be terminated.

Anyone have any inputs ?

Thanks

I believe that they start Citizenship process directly, once you are enlisted. You don't need any visa man... Just stay in army for 4 years and your life will be set.

Hello members,

Did anyone in this situation ?

I am about to enlist in US Army and will be shipped to Basic combat training.

I heard that once I shipped, my F1 status will be terminated.

Anyone have any inputs ?

Thanks

For enlisting, a person has to be at least a Permanent Resident.

That is NOT true .   See this http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/schools/mavni

OP,  if you successfully complete the basic training,  you can start your citizenship process (no GC, straight citizen :) )

If you cannot and want to come back to school,  there is an option.  Talk to your DSO.

If you have a dependent , things will become complex.  The dependent will not have any status once you join MAVNI

Generally true, except for the MAVNI program. There are two programs, one for translators and one for healthcare workers. MAVNI is run by the US Army. There is no equivalent in any other branch.

Yes, the OP will lose J1 status. OP should not leave the US until he has done the Oath of Allegiance and become a USC.This is usually done right after basic training

For more on MAVNI:

http://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/mavni/mavni-amedd.pdf

https://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/mavni/mavni-language.pdf

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I was enlisted in army reserve last week and i know that i would be getting my US citizenship once i graduate from training. However, i have question regarding my indian status once i get my USC. I have read it on the website that any foreign military either active or retired is not eligible to apply for PIO/OCI. so that means i need to apply for visit visa whenever i go to India. My question is " can i apply for the oci post my reserve contract of 8 years ? as i will not be connected with army then. Do any of you know if there is any other way to get oci ? I dont like to be a tourist in my country of origin.

would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Abhishek 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I was enlisted in army reserve last week and i know that i would be getting my US citizenship once i graduate from training. However, i have question regarding my indian status once i get my USC. I have read it on the website that any foreign military either active or retired is not eligible to apply for PIO/OCI. so that means i need to apply for visit visa whenever i go to India. My question is " can i apply for the oci post my reserve contract of 8 years ? as i will not be connected with army then. Do any of you know if there is any other way to get oci ? I dont like to be a tourist in my country of origin.

would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Abhishek 

Foreign military personnel either in service or retired are not entitled for grant of OCI. This also includes people who ever served in Military. This has been confirmed with embassy visa agency. 

You should not regret for NOT having OCI b/c you still will be considered PIO and keep financial, economic, educational fields etc.rights in India even w/o OCI. .

BTW, lying on OCI or visa application is not advisable because concealment of material fact will result not only in application denial but also black-listing for future visits to India. I know few people have been asked for request of evidence by Indian embassy before issuing visa. The best is to stay with the truth and have 10 yrs multiple entry Tourist visa.

Foreign military personnel either in service or retired are not entitled for grant of OCI. This also includes people who ever served in Military. This has been confirmed with embassy visa agency.

You should not regret for NOT having OCI b/c you still will be considered PIO and keep financial, economic, educational fields etc.rights in India even w/o OCI. .

BTW, lying on OCI or visa application is not advisable because concealment of material fact will result not only in application denial but also black-listing for future visits to India. I know few people have been asked for request of evidence by Indian embassy before issuing visa. The best is to stay with the truth and have 10 yrs multiple entry Tourist visa.

Isn't the option of holding a PIO status scrapped by the Indian government?
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't the option of holding a PIO status scrapped by the Indian government?

Yes the PIO status has been scrapped. But for the purpose of limited rights such as taxation, property etc. in India, if you ever held Indian passport, you are considered Person of Indian Origin Vs foreign born. You will not have full benefits like you had with PIO card, but this will be limited rights. Something is better than nothing. Don't get confused between PIO card and PIO (terminology used by GOI).

Archived