Remote work from USA

neha.gamine

Hi, I want to ask if I am allowed to work remotely for an India Pvt. Ltd. company while visiting relatives in the US? I hold a B1/B2 visa and plan to travel to the US, can you please help me figure out if I can occasionally login remotely to work while in the US, also what do I need to say at the time of immigration considering this will be occasional remote login while I am in the US. Please help!

Hi, I want to ask if I am allowed to work remotely for an India Pvt. Ltd. company while visiting relatives in the US? I hold a B1/B2 visa and plan to travel to the US, can you please help me figure out if I can occasionally login remotely to work while in the US, also what do I need to say at the time of immigration considering this will be occasional remote login while I am in the US. Please help!

You cannot work remotely for any employer within or outside US while you are on B2 status.

Occasional login's shouldn't be a big deal.

You cannot work remotely for any employer within or outside US while you are on B2 status.

That's surprising... Well, frankly I didn't know that.. How would it be of concern to the US if he is working for a company in India which is no way related to US? I think he can work as long as its not affiliated to US.

The issue would be from the company in India rather. Indian policies would be in effect and if the company permits to work remotely then I guess OP is fine.

For example, my dad used to work for the Govt of India and they did not permit him to work more that half the time of his stay while in the US. I don't think its an issue from US or US Immigration stand point. (My Opinion only)

Would be interested to know from an attorney though...

That's surprising... Well, frankly I didn't know that.. How would it be of concern to the US if he is working for a company in India which is no way related to US? I think he can work as long as its not affiliated to US.

The issue would be from the company in India rather. Indian policies would be in effect and if the company permits to work remotely then I guess OP is fine.

For example, my dad used to work for the Govt of India and they did not permit him to work more that half the time of his stay while in the US. I don't think its an issue from US or US Immigration stand point. (My Opinion only)

Would be interested to know from an attorney though...

When you are in another country you are bound by the rules of that country rather than by rules of your home country.

The issue would be from the company in India rather. Indian policies would be in effect

No, they wouldn't.

If the person is in the US, US laws and ONLY US laws apply.

On a B2, a person can NOT work, not for a US company and not for a foreign company, while in the US.

On a B1, a person can do things like attending meetings, etc. on behalf of his or her foreign employer.

• 2 weeks later...

Employment is not permitted on a B1/B2 visa – look at the information here from the US government http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html . But whether logging in to check on work status or to fulfill various tasks is permitted is debatable – if you can’t afford not to work in this way when you are on vacation I would consult an attorney to be sure.

Archived