Travel 1 week before H1B expiry

nj29

Hi,

My H1B visa is expiring on March 10, 2014. My H1B extension is filed and the case is under 'Initial Review'. I want to travel to India on Feb 20, 2014 and come back to US on March 4, 2014.

So will there be any problem as my travel dates are very close to my visa expiry date? Can the immigration authority deny me entry to US at port of entry?

Hi,

My H1B visa is expiring on March 10, 2014. My H1B extension is filed and the case is under 'Initial Review'. I want to travel to India on Feb 20, 2014 and come back to US on March 4, 2014.

So will there be any problem as my travel dates are very close to my visa expiry date? Can the immigration authority deny me entry to US at port of entry?

I believe it should not be a problem as long as you have  valid H1B visa, I797 and extension receipt notice. Why don't you upgrade to PP?

What if by chance immigration officer denies you entry, just in case? Never take any risk with respect to immigration.

If you travel during your H1 processing then you might be having some problems with I94.

Thanks Guys..will rethink about my travel plans.

But 1 of my friends told me that if I carry an attorney's letter stating the reason of my travel and a return ticket from US to India dated 11th march, 2014 then it cam make my case strong. Any views?

But 1 of my friends told me that if I carry an attorney's letter stating the reason of my travel and a return ticket from US to India dated 11th march, 2014 then it cam make my case strong. Any views?

Attorney's letter is immaterial to immigration officer at POE.

I don't think that will make any sense.

I am still asking you the same question. Why don't you upgrade your H1 processing to PP??

Well, you can pay for it and it is legal

hmmm..will think about it. And what if my wife travels alone..I read the foll response from one of the attorneys online : 

"She can travel, but essentially she would be abandoning the extension petition that was submitted since she does not need that for the visa stamping. Only your H-1B extension needs to be approved for her to apply for a new H-4 visa abroad. Also, she would not be able to return until she gets the new H-4 visa and that can only happen once your H-1B is approved. Depending on how long she plans to be in India and when the H-1B would be approved would determine when she might reasonably be able to return to the US."

does this hold correct?

BTW thanks for al the guidance till now. :)

hmmm..will think about it. And what if my wife travels alone..I read the foll response from one of the attorneys online : 

"She can travel, but essentially she would be abandoning the extension petition that was submitted since she does not need that for the visa stamping. Only your H-1B extension needs to be approved for her to apply for a new H-4 visa abroad. Also, she would not be able to return until she gets the new H-4 visa and that can only happen once your H-1B is approved. Depending on how long she plans to be in India and when the H-1B would be approved would determine when she might reasonably be able to return to the US."

does this hold correct?

BTW thanks for al the guidance till now. :)

Yes, what the attorney said is correct.

Archived