Passport validity - need clarification please

myk110

I need clarification on the 6 months passport validity rule. It says everywhere that the passport must be valid for travel to the US for at least 6 months beyond the period of intended stay - which makes perfect sense. But my passport expires in 3 months from now. Can I go through the visa interview process now and get the visa on my soon-to-expire passport, and then renew my passport after getting my visa and before traveling to the US?? That way when I travel, i will travel on my new passport, but the visa will be on the old one. Please advice.

I need clarification on the 6 months passport validity rule. It says everywhere that the passport must be valid for travel to the US for at least 6 months beyond the period of intended stay - which makes perfect sense. But my passport expires in 3 months from now. Can I go through the visa interview process now and get the visa on my soon-to-expire passport, and then renew my passport after getting my visa and before traveling to the US?? That way when I travel, i will travel on my new passport, but the visa will be on the old one. Please advice.

Apply for a new passport as your I94 expiry date would be based on passport expiry date.

Archived