Am I Eligible to file N-400

anonblues

I have been laid off by my petitioning employer 2 months before getting the green card because of recession in 2008. In my termination letter it is stated that they will rehire me once the economy gets better. Can I file for N-400?

N-400 is for citizenship. You have not received your GC and how can you apply for citizenship?

You need to be more specific.

1. You got the GC 5 years back.

2. You were laid off at that time or were you laid off recently?

3. If you were laid off then have you been working since then?

I've been laid off 12/02/2008. My green card approved 02/13/2009. I never worked for my petitioner since then ( almost 5 years) I did not quit, they terminate me due to economic downturn in 2008.  Now they told me since the workload increases I can go back to work for them. Do you think it wil not affect if I filed now for N-400

I've been laid off 12/02/2008. My green card approved 02/13/2009. I never worked for my petitioner since then ( almost 5 years) I did not quit, they terminate me due to economic downturn in 2008.  Now they told me since the workload increases I can go back to work for them. Do you think it wil not affect if I filed now for N-400

So basically you never worked for the employer who filed for your GC after GC approval?

That is a problem because you did not have a job to start after the GC was approved. An examiner could consider this to be fraud.

You need to discuss your situation with a good immigration lawyer.

Archived