Tourist visa question

Watson

My mother-in-law immigrated from Laos and is currently a US citizen.  She wants to arrange for her brother in Laos to come visit, and I’m trying to help make sure they do it right.  I can see on the government website exactly what  the process is, starting with the brother applying online via the DS-160, getting an interview set, etc.  I also learned that supplemental documents such as an affidavit of support, invitation letter, documents showing the sponsor’s finances are NOT needed because the brother will self-sponsor -- while such other documents may be relevant to immigration visas, they are not needed for visitor/tourist visas.  HOWEVER, we’ve heard from a family that did this 10 years ago that although those supporting documents aren’t included in the list of requirements, in reality they are going to be requested for at the interview and that that the application probably won’t be approved unless the interviewer can see these documents.  Again, they said this is true despite the online information saying otherwise. So my question is for folks here who may know from experience how this really works.  Are any supplemental, supporting documents highly desired/recommended for the tourist visa to be approved even though they’re not technically required (if so, specifically what are those documents)?  Or are we wasting our time trying to prepare these documents for them?  It seems like self-sponsored means that we aren’t needed to do this and should stay out of it, plus we’d prefer not to put our finances out there for the world to see; however, if there is something we should prepare that will help him get approved I’d like to know because he will travel quite a distance for his interview so we don’t want him to get denied and have to do it again. Thanks, and have a nice day!

My mother-in-law immigrated from Laos and is currently a US citizen.  She wants to arrange for her brother in Laos to come visit, and I’m trying to help make sure they do it right.  I can see on the government website exactly what  the process is, starting with the brother applying online via the DS-160, getting an interview set, etc.  I also learned that supplemental documents such as an affidavit of support, invitation letter, documents showing the sponsor’s finances are NOT needed because the brother will self-sponsor -- while such other documents may be relevant to immigration visas, they are not needed for visitor/tourist visas.  HOWEVER, we’ve heard from a family that did this 10 years ago that although those supporting documents aren’t included in the list of requirements, in reality they are going to be requested for at the interview and that that the application probably won’t be approved unless the interviewer can see these documents.  Again, they said this is true despite the online information saying otherwise. So my question is for folks here who may know from experience how this really works.  Are any supplemental, supporting documents highly desired/recommended for the tourist visa to be approved even though they’re not technically required (if so, specifically what are those documents)?  Or are we wasting our time trying to prepare these documents for them?  It seems like self-sponsored means that we aren’t needed to do this and should stay out of it, plus we’d prefer not to put our finances out there for the world to see; however, if there is something we should prepare that will help him get approved I’d like to know because he will travel quite a distance for his interview so we don’t want him to get denied and have to do it again. Thanks, and have a nice day!

Your mom-in-law's bro has to apply with the support of his own documents. There is no sponsorship involved. He has to demonstrate that he has strong ties to his home country and he intends to return back after his brief visit to US.

Let her send a cover letter stating the Brother will visit for a few weeks in Summer and that she will be paying for the visit. He needs to say the same and specify a 6-8 week stay to visit a Sister whom he has presumably not seen for some time?. Have him fill up the DS-160 with somebodies help and make an appointment. In all likelihood they will give him the visa. Is the brother old enough to have been involved in helping the US troops during the war in that region?

Archived