H1B visa stamping after employer change

namassivaya.budidi

Hi all,

I have recently changed my employer on H1B, so I got an extended date till 2016. But my old employer H1B visa is still valid till Oct.2014. In the mean time can I travel to India and come back with out going for stamping as I already have a valid H1B from old employer ? I read some forums and couldn't decide so I am seeking help from here.

Yes, you can as long as you plan to return before Oct 2104. You would need new employer's I797 to show at POE.

Yes, Ideally no visa stamping is required but I had a different experience at LAX POE last week. The CBP officer has asked multiple questions like -

1) Why did you change your employer?

2) How did you find this employer?

3) Are you performing the same role now with the new employer?

4) You employer head quarters are located in the city XXX, why are you reporting here?

5) what is your designation?

6) Did you move to this new employer in India or in US?

I did not expect these questions at POE. Usually we encounter these question during a visa interview.

Finally she has marked the end date as the end date on the new petition. 

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am getting this same answer from everybody that no need to go for new visa stamping when employer is changed provided current visa is valid.

BUT... when I checked with us consultate india (usvisadocs suport), they said I should get a new visa stamp if employer is changed !

Not sure which is correct  and don't know why consulate has asked me to get new visa  if so many people have travelled with exsting visa without any problem.

Hi,

I am getting this same answer from everybody that no need to go for new visa stamping when employer is changed provided current visa is valid.

BUT... when I checked with us consultate india (usvisadocs suport), they said I should get a new visa stamp if employer is changed !

Not sure which is correct and don't know why consulate has asked me to get new visa if so many people have travelled with exsting visa without any problem.

Archived