I-20 and F1B questions

m_user

Hi Friends/Experts,

Good Morning !!

Quick Question

1. If a student has received I-20, Can he/she start working?

2. Assuming that F-1 is drilled down version of H1, Can a student start working as soon they receive the receipt number (assuming they do get receipt number)?

Can somebody throw some light on this?

Thank you in advance,

- M_User

Hi Friends/Experts,

Good Morning !!

Quick Question

2. Assuming that F-1 is drilled down version of H1, Can a student start working as soon they receive the receipt number (assuming they do get receipt number)?

Can somebody throw some light on this?

Thank you in advance,

- M_User

1. No.

2. What receipt number?

1. F1 STUDENT CANNOT WORK.

2. If this is the first H1 then he/she has to work till Oct 1st of that year in order to work on H1 status.

Your assumption is wrong, a F-1 visa is not a "drilled down version of a H-1 visa".  They are completely separate, and there is no relationship between the two types of visas.

On an approved F-1 visa (not just a filing receipt) a student is allowed to work part-time (20 hours a week maximum) on-campus for the university while school is in session and full-time on-campus for the university when school is not in session (i.e. between semesters such as the summer).  On a F-1 visa the only authorized employment is on-campus for the university.  Any other employment is illegal.

Clearly you do not properly understand U.S. immigration, visas, and authorized employment.  You should consult with an authorative source such as an immigration attorney or university DSO instead of making assumptions.

1) An F-1 visa is not a work visa. Don't think of it as such, or use it to work. For one thing, you cannot work anywhere without prior, written authorization from your univ's Designated School Official (DSO). If you work without getting authorization from your DSO to do so, you will be in violation of the F-1 visa conditions and would be subject to deportation as well. Also, keep in mind, that you will have to get prior authorization for every single job you do on an F-1, unless that job is on-campus and the total time you work for is less than 20 hours per week.

2) On an F-1 visa, you cannot work for more than 20 hours per week when your school is in session, period. Not following this rule is also a violation of the F-1 visa conditions.

3) There is no subtype called "F-1B", stop assuming random things. If you want to succeed at grad school, get into the habit of searching online for info. Had you done that on your own, you'd have found out easily that there is no visa type called "F-1B".

4) You won't be getting a receipt number for anything at this stage, until you graduate and apply for OPT. But, you cannot begin OPT now, so the only thing you can do is focus on your program.

Bottom line here is that an F-1 visa is intended to allow you only to study towards a particular program. Being able to work is a privilege, do not expect, demand or abuse it, or think that you're entitled to it in the first place, in any way whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

maverickp,  catx, jairichi - If you do not have good intentions and language to answer, you better stay away. Not having right information with one doesn't make them criminal. Your posts are treating me like that.

JoeF, t75, rahul412 - Thanks for your reply.

The understanding is, I-20 is a door to F-1. On F-1, student can have job, only on campus or as DSO describes. Chances are my student in the case will have. They will pay for that work. So student will have job and earning.  Over the period of time after OPT is obtained, student starts working outside campus on a regular job and start earning as regular employee with out only having categorized as H1B employee. Simple answer as it is. Look above how people have jumped over my questions. Tell a lot about community and intentions of people.  My intention is never to exploit the system and abuse but only to know how effectively it can be used to make the life much much better within the arena of law. Simple.(Admin pls. post this observation).

maverickp,  catx, jairichi - If you do not have good intentions and language to answer, you better stay away. Not having right information with one doesn't make them criminal. Your posts are treating me like that.

JoeF, t75, rahul412 - Thanks for your reply.

The understanding is, I-20 is a door to F-1. On F-1, student can have job, only on campus or as DSO describes. Chances are my student in the case will have. They will pay for that work. So student will have job and earning.  Over the period of time after OPT is obtained, student starts working outside campus on a regular job and start earning as regular employee with out only having categorized as H1B employee. Simple answer as it is. Look above how people have jumped over my questions. Tell a lot about community and intentions of people.  My intention is never to exploit the system and abuse but only to know how effectively it can be used to make the life much much better within the arena of law. Simple.(Admin pls. post this observation).

Are you advising a student on his opportunities?  New students unless having a financial aid award are expected to be able to pay for their education and living expenses WITHOUT the need of employment either on campus or off. 

What wrong language did I use? And, where did I say that you are a criminal?

Ditto.

I posted that your assumption was "wrong" (incorrect); that a F-1 visa is separate from, and has no relationship with a H-1B visa; what work is allowable on a F-1 visa; that you do not understand U.S. immigration, visas, and authorized employment; and should consult with an authoritative source versus making assumptions.  The intention and advice is for you to get factual information.  Nowhere does it say anything about being a "criminal".  Something does seem to be getting "lost in translation".

Archived