Traveling on OPT and realized F1 is no longer valid

ronbeck

Hi,

I completed my degree in Dec 2012, and am currently employed in the US with valid I-20 and EAD and approved Stem ext. I am currently visiting India and realized that my F1 has been cancelled. Here is the story.

I traveled to Mexico in Nov 2013. On the way back to US, the immigration officer in Tijuana voided my F1 visa on the assumption that it is not relevant anymore since I have an EAD.It was so quick, I couldn't react. He then asked me to get a new I-94. Upon further investigation by the I-94 issuing officer, he realized that my F1 is valid. The officer then put a note on my passport, ( to disregard the cancellation), issued a new I-94 and stamped my passport. I was able to get back to US after that, on two separate occasions from Mexico. So it never occured to me that my visa might actually have been cancelled.

I am currently in India visiting family. I was supposed to get back to the US by now but the airline wont let me board because my F1 is apparently cancelled. At first I didnt think  it to be true but I am more and more convinced now. I contacted the chennai embassy and they advised to apply for new visa.

What are my options? My employer is being patient and willing to help in whichever way. Should I apply for a new F1 with the i20 and ead? Whats the approx waiting time for the entire F1 process? Then my h1b processing will start in Apr?

This is such an absurd situation and I cant think straight. Please advise.

Hi,

I completed my degree in Dec 2012, and am currently employed in the US with valid I-20 and EAD and approved Stem ext. I am currently visiting India and realized that my F1 has been cancelled. Here is the story.

I traveled to Mexico in Nov 2013. On the way back to US, the immigration officer in Tijuana voided my F1 visa on the assumption that it is not relevant anymore since I have an EAD.It was so quick, I couldn't react. He then asked me to get a new I-94. Upon further investigation by the I-94 issuing officer, he realized that my F1 is valid. The officer then put a note on my passport, ( to disregard the cancellation), issued a new I-94 and stamped my passport. I was able to get back to US after that, on two separate occasions from Mexico. So it never occured to me that my visa might actually have been cancelled.

I am currently in India visiting family. I was supposed to get back to the US by now but the airline wont let me board because my F1 is apparently cancelled. At first I didnt think  it to be true but I am more and more convinced now. I contacted the chennai embassy and they advised to apply for new visa.

What are my options? My employer is being patient and willing to help in whichever way. Should I apply for a new F1 with the i20 and ead? Whats the approx waiting time for the entire F1 process? Then my h1b processing will start in Apr?

This is such an absurd situation and I cant think straight. Please advise.

Yes, if you were advised by consulate officials then do so. Immediate if all your documents are good. Make it a point to mention VO about the incident in Mexico and if you have proof to back it up show it to VO. Who knows it might help. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived