Can a journalist apply for a H1b VISA?

sureshv120

Hello All,

My question is whether a Journalist can apply for a H1b VISA. Say one wants to work with the Washington Post in the US. Which VISA would be required. I have heard a lot that 'I' type of VISA is used by journalists to make short trips to cover an event etc. However what VISA needs to be applied for if one wants to work long term in the US.

I am not able to find the answers on the internet. Please help me.

Hello All,

My question is whether a Journalist can apply for a H1b VISA. Say one wants to work with the Washington Post in the US. Which VISA would be required. I have heard a lot that 'I' type of VISA is used by journalists to make short trips to cover an event etc. However what VISA needs to be applied for if one wants to work long term in the US.

Yes, a journalist is eligible for H1B visa provided you have the required education.

Hello All,

For an H1, the job has to require a college degree. I don't think the work of a journalist does.

There are lots of professions, even highly paid professions like airline pilot, that don't require a college degree, hence people can't get an H1 for such jobs.

Hello All,

Thanks for your reply. Well I have a Degree in English Honors. It's a three year course. As per USCIS, we need to have a four year degree or a three year degree plus three years of work experience. I have this experience. So I am wondering if being a journalist restricts me from applying for a H1B

Hello All,

Thanks for your reply. Well I have a Degree in English Honors. It's a three year course. As per USCIS, we need to have a four year degree or a three year degree plus three years of work experience. I have this experience. So I am wondering if being a journalist restricts me from applying for a H1B

The degree you possess must be related to your H1B occupation.

The JOB has to require a college degree. Of course, the applicant would have to have the required degree.

So, the issue is: Does the JOB require a college degree? I rather doubt that a journalist job does require a degree. It may be useful, but from my understanding, a degree is not required to become a journalist.

What JoeF is saying is that the posted job description would have to, for example (and just an example), have something along the lines of ... requires a bachelors degree in journalism or a related field plus relevant work experience.  In such an example, then your degree in English plus work experience in journalism maybe eligible for a H-1B visa.

Again as I posted, any notable media organization, such as the Washington Post, would have immigration attorneys familiar with the requirements.

What JoeF is saying is that the posted job description would have to, for example (and just an example), have something along the lines of ... requires a bachelors degree in journalism or a related field plus relevant work experience.  In such an example, then your degree in English plus work experience in journalism maybe eligible for a H-1B visa.h the requirements.

Actually, even that may not be enough.

As an example, airlines nowadays don't hire pilots who don't have a college degree, but a degree is not required for a pilot job. The airlines just want to make sure that pilots have something to fall back on, because the competition for pilots is intense.

Pilots can't get an H1, because a degree is not required for it.

Archived