Renew B2 Visa

vistvisa

Hello Gurus,

My father got a B2 single entry visa from  05/20/2013  to 05/20/2014 with an annotation 'Clearance Received' (221g) (He has a PhD in Chemistry). But due to some personal reasons he couldn't travel to US till now.

Now he want to visit US on 04/22/2014 and stay till 08/31/2014. Since his visa is expiring on 05/20/2014,

Can he apply for renewal of B2 visa before entering US and stay till 08/31/2014?

Or can he apply for extension of stay after entering US and stay till 08/31/2014?

Whatever is the case, Can he go on a cruise to Mexico during his stay and come back to US?

Can you please provide some advice/Suggestions so that his pleasure travel to US will be hassle free?

Thanks in advance !!

Hello Gurus,

My father got a B2 single entry visa from  05/20/2013  to 05/20/2014 with an annotation 'Clearance Received' (221g) (He has a PhD in Chemistry). But due to some personal reasons he couldn't travel to US till now.

Now he want to visit US on 04/22/2014 and stay till 08/31/2014. Since his visa is expiring on 05/20/2014,

Can he apply for renewal of B2 visa before entering US and stay till 08/31/2014?

Or can he apply for extension of stay after entering US and stay till 08/31/2014?

Whatever is the case, Can he go on a cruise to Mexico during his stay and come back to US?

Can you please provide some advice/Suggestions so that his pleasure travel to US will be hassle free?

Thanks in advance !!

Visa is an entry document. I94 determines the duration of stay. He could enter US on 04/22/2014 before the expiry of B2 visa.

Visa is an entry document. It only needs to be valid at the time of entry. The I94 he gets which is nowadays electronic lets him stay. He does not need to extend the visa at the moment. Just look up CBP electronic I94 and print it out after he arrives. That will tell you how much time he has been given. As regards the cruise you should actually call and ask the line. It should be possible.

If at all possible, ask your parent to travel during the month of March (not necessary since visa expires on 5/20/2014, however, useful). As mentioned by others, he will be allowed to stay for a period of six months from his arrival date. If I were you, I would not attempt either extending stay or visiting any other country (like Mexico, Canada) while he is here for the first time on a single entry, one year visa. A first good record will help me get visa in the future.

Archived