TA RA while on H1B

ready2go

I work full time on H1B visa. I am also a full time graduate student (evening courses).

I have an opportunity to become either a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant at my university.

Both positions provides full tuition waiver and a stipend.

1) I believe, I can not receive renumeration from other employment while on H1B unless university files for concurrent H1 B for me (which I don't think they would do). Correct?

2) Can I take up TA/RA position with just the tuition waiver (no stipend) along with my H1 B?

3) Can I take up TA/RA position without any money attached to it, as a volunteer?

Accepting any of these position will not impact my full time job in any way. (Research will be done in weekends and Teaching will be done in evening). I am more interested in doing Option 2 above, if possible.

Thanks.

I work full time on H1B visa. I am also a full time graduate student (evening courses).

I have an opportunity to become either a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant at my university.

Both positions provides full tuition waiver and a stipend.

1) I believe, I can not receive renumeration from other employment while on H1B unless university files for concurrent H1 B for me (which I don't think they would do). Correct?

2) Can I take up TA/RA position with just the tuition waiver (no stipend) along with my H1 B?

3) Can I take up TA/RA position without any money attached to it, as a volunteer?

Accepting any of these position will not impact my full time job in any way. (Research will be done in weekends and Teaching will be done in evening). I am more interested in doing Option 2 above, if possible.

Thanks.

1. Yes.

2. I believe yes as it is considered as a fellowship/scholarship. Not 100% sure though. Talk to your university H1B team.

3. Nope, as it is considered as a paid position.

No reasonable university would provide TA/RA for full time worker - on H1B or USC.  Do they know your work status?

No reasonable school would file H1B for a student.

Research qualifying for RA is far more than a weekend job. It is at least 20 hours per week IN ADDITION to classes AND personal research and preparation.

Someone teaching should expect to spend 4 or more hours outside of class each week for each credit hour of the class in addition to class time in preparation for the class and more if it is the first time the person has taught the class.   If it is a lab, a TA is expected to be available outside of class time to assist students.

Being a full time student is MORE than a full time job.

It is not possible to file an H1 for an RA/TA position. The salary for these positions is very low, even below minimum wage. No way to get an H1 for that.

And it is work, so it requires work authorization, which is not possible (see above.)

The tuition waiver requires the TA/RA position. You can not get that on H1.

I went to graduate school while on H1, I always paid the in-state tuition (in CA) myself.

If you are on H1 (or H4, or any other status that does not allow work) you can NOT get an RA or TA position. Period.

Archived