Urgent - Traveling to Puerto Rico

Gottipatti

Hello All,

Recently, my wife and I became naturalized citizens of the United States. After the naturalization ceremony, we applied for our passports and have received it. About six weeks ago, we applied for our daughter's U.S. passport (our daughter is 6 years old and is a permanent resident of the U.S.). We have still not received her passport. Also, since we had to submit her original permanent residency card, when we applied for her passport, we do not have her PR card with us. Question: we plan to travel to Puerto Rico for  a short vacation. I understand that U.S. citizens do not need a visa to enter Puerto Rico. What documents should we carry with us for our daughter? We still have her Indian passport, and xerox copies of her PR card. Please advise.

Thanks,

GP

Yes, I have read the State Department web site details. I've also contacted the travel.state.gov NPIC center about expediting her passport process. They said that they'd need $12.85, to expedite the process, but can give no guarantees that we will get the passport soon. And, we are leaving next week, and have been querying the status for about two weeks now! Also, the human voice at the other end (when you call the toll free number) does not tell you anything more than what you see online when you put in the last name, date of birth, and last four of the SSN. All that said, however, thanks for the response.

GP

OP's six year old daughter can not have a DL ;)

Op, did u check with ur local DL for a state id..they can give her a temp photo id on paper..

her PP should be fine too in this case..i beleive you are not supposed to make photocopies of green card..

There is also the possibility of a state id...

And American-born children don't have a DL, either, nor do most of them have a US passport. Yet, they can still travel by air...

It's really not rocket science...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input(s). As it turned out, our fears were wholly unfounded. The airlines we flew (as well as the TSA) did not require IDs for children who are less than 18 years of age; its scary that they do not require any form of ID for children, and I should hope that they will amend this soon. For my wife and I, the only form of IDs we needed were our driver's licenses.

GP

Thanks for your input(s). As it turned out, our fears were wholly unfounded. The airlines we flew (as well as the TSA) did not require IDs for children who are less than 18 years of age; its scary that they do not require any form of ID for children, and I should hope that they will amend this soon. For my wife and I, the only form of IDs we needed were our driver's licenses.

GP

As I have said multiple times in several threads, this is just like travel to any other destination in the US.

While Puerto Rico is not a state, it still is part of the US, hence the same federal rules apply there as everywhere else in the US.

Archived