DS160 without last name

L1_to_H1

Hello,

This is my second post on this topic. I posted this a couple of hours ago and it did not show up on the forum.

I did a lot of research on the situation when someone does not have a last name on their passport. I have come across two options and both seem equally acceptable. I would like experts to weigh in on these please. 

Situation on Indian passport:

Surname : <blank>

Given Name :  USVISITOR (one word only) 

Option 1 : As per many posts on internet we are supposed to use Given name in SURNAME field on DS160 and FNU in given name field. So essentially the Visa will be issued as USVISITOR, FNU . 

Now this seems to be acceptable at OFC at Hydrabad / Mumbai and also the New Delhi website for consulate also says " If only one name is written in your passport, enter that as your “Surname.” " . So this sounds ok.

Option 2 : Use LNU as surname and given name as given name. This means the Visa will be issued as LNU, USVISITOR. This sounds more logical but there is no confirmation that anyone has used it and it kind of goes opposite to US consulate website.

The issue I have is which one to go with and also what name to use while booking the tickets? All the airlines have surname as required field. 

Another question is that if the flight is Delhi -> New York -> Nashville (different airlines on different legs). Do we have to go through TSA checking again at NYC? This is important becuase TSA will check the boarding pass against tje passport and the missing last name again comes into picture. 

your response is appreciated. 

Thanks !

Archived