H1 to H4 COS, during un-paid LOA

ankush2kn

Hello all, I need your help!

I am currently on H1b, which is expiring in end of Jan 2014. My wife is on H1b as well, so I want to switch to H4 for a couple of months.

My GC perm is expected in early Feb, so I want to get a un-paid Leave of Absence from my employer so I don't loose benefits and can switch back to H1 after I have approved 140. My empoyer is willing.

My question is: can I do COS from H1b to H4 while on the un-paid leave of absence?

Thank you!

Hello all, I need your help!

I am currently on H1b, which is expiring in end of Jan 2014. My wife is on H1b as well, so I want to switch to H4 for a couple of months.

My GC perm is expected in early Feb, so I want to get a un-paid Leave of Absence from my employer so I don't loose benefits and can switch back to H1 after I have approved 140. My empoyer is willing.

My question is: can I do COS from H1b to H4 while on the un-paid leave of absence?

Thank you!

There is no unpaid leave of absence on H1B. Either you get paid during vacation or apply for COS to H4. 

You can apply for a COS to H4 and once the application is on file stop working. Presumably the employer will file a H1 petition when appropriate with PP and COS back from H4?

Thanks, I understand how to change status to H4. That was not my question though :-)

Looking for other folks who shifted from LOA to H4, because their H4 was expiring.

Alright, so you are misinformed. An example would be a pregnant lady who need to be on an unpaid LOA for taking care of her baby.

That is called maternity leave. And, on H1B a maternity leave is maximum for 3 months with or without pay and not more than that unless certain situation arises. I know it does not apply to you.

And, in your case you apply for a COS to H4 and later an employer can apply for COS to H1B

• 2 weeks later...

.....What will happen to you if you change status to H4?

if I shift to H4, I will loose my company benefits such as RSR etc. Could probably continue health insurance under Cobra but premiums will be insane.

Here's what I did - I decided to go to my home country and capture some more time on the h1. Also, my company will put me on unpaid-LOA if i don't have 140+h1b extension by the time h1b expires. The lawyers did specify that I can't be in the US under the unpaid-LOA.

Archived