H1B portability issue

kalps7

I was on H1B previously and changed my status to F1 and graduated in May '11. I wanted to resume my previous H1B as I got a job offer and my new employer filed H1B petition and suggested I am eligible for H1B portability. That is I can start working as soon as I receive H1B receipt notice. Accordingly I started working in June when I received H1B receipt notice.

Recently I was reading about H1B portability and came to know that I am not eligible to work until I get H1B approved. Apparently my employer misunderstood some of the portability rules. Unknowingly I started working on my employer's assurance.

I stopped working now. My H1B is still under processing. What are the consequences of this issue? Will my H1B be rejected because of this mistake? How can I fix this issue?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In May, 2011, USCIS provided clarification about H1B portability. As far as I am aware, you can only utilize H1B portability if you are currently on H1B. For example, if you were on H1B and worked for 2 years. Then you decided to go for Full-time MBA on F1 and one year. upon completion of your MBA, you are ready to join an employer on H1B visa - YOU CAN NOT USE H1B PORTABILITY.

Also, check the first topic here:

http://www.murthy.com/mb_pdf/051311_P.html

Archived