Does Visa Waiver program work in case of Academic Institution Change?

Mr.

Hello All,

I am doing my Second Masters and the F-1 visa on my passport expired early this year. I am planning to go to India for Christmas vacation and just wondering if I would be considered for a Visa Waiver program. The reason for asking this is, I need to schedule an appointment otherwise for the interview.

From: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

Eligibility Criteria for all applicants except child below 14 years and applicant above 80 years of age:

• My most recent visa was issued in India
  • I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  • My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost or stolen.
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  • I have no refusals for a visa in any category after my most recent visa issuance
  • I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to renew;
  • If I am applying for a B1/B2, C1D, or J visa, my prior visa in the same classification is still valid or expired within the last 48 months;OR
  • If I am applying for an F/M/J visa, my prior visa in the same classification and same Academic Institution is still valid or expired within the last 48 months; Note: F/M visa interview applicants must submit their original I-20 form and J visa interview waiver applicants must submit their original DS-2019 form along with their passport.OR
  • If I am applying for an H or L (individual) visa, my prior visa in the same classification with the same petitioner is still valid or expired within the last 12 months. Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify,but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.

Since, I've completed my Masters 30 Months ago and my SEVIS will be with the new University, I am little confused with the above clause.

Any valuable inputs from you are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Could someone please help me with the above one which I found on the US Consulate website of Hyderabad.

Also, I am currently doing my 2nd Masters in a Private University and wondering how I would determine if it is a For-Profit university? If so, does that affect my F-1 visa stamping chances back in Home Country?

Hello All,

I am doing my Second Masters and the F-1 visa on my passport expired early this year. I am planning to go to India for Christmas vacation and just wondering if I would be considered for a Visa Waiver program. The reason for asking this is, I need to schedule an appointment otherwise for the interview.

From: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

Eligibility Criteria for all applicants except child below 14 years and applicant above 80 years of age:

• My most recent visa was issued in India
  • I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  • My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost or stolen.
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  • I have no refusals for a visa in any category after my most recent visa issuance
  • I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to renew;
  • If I am applying for a B1/B2, C1D, or J visa, my prior visa in the same classification is still valid or expired within the last 48 months;OR
  • If I am applying for an F/M/J visa, my prior visa in the same classification and same Academic Institution is still valid or expired within the last 48 months; Note: F/M visa interview applicants must submit their original I-20 form and J visa interview waiver applicants must submit their original DS-2019 form along with their passport.OR
  • If I am applying for an H or L (individual) visa, my prior visa in the same classification with the same petitioner is still valid or expired within the last 12 months. Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify,but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.

Since, I've completed my Masters 30 Months ago and my SEVIS will be with the new University, I am little confused with the above clause.

Any valuable inputs from you are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

You are not eligible for drop box as you changed your academic institution.

Could someone please help me with the above one which I found on the US Consulate website of Hyderabad.

Also, I am currently doing my 2nd Masters in a Private University and wondering how I would determine if it is a For-Profit university? If so, does that affect my F-1 visa stamping chances back in Home Country?

You could ask your DSO or look at your university website. It does not affect your visa stamping.

If your visa interview is in India you need 2 appointments like the way you mentioned. In Canada biometrics and interview are done on the same day.

Thank you again jairichi. Its been a while I've gone through this process and now I am little confused. I believe I cannot find an appointment date unless I pay the fee and DS-160 forms right? In that case, I did fill the DS-160 form at the following page.

https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

Is is the correct place to do? If so, once I finish the application, I don't see any option to pay the fee. Would that be a different page again? I vaguely remember when I was doing this process years ago used to be at one place.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Getting back to the same point

If I am applying for an F/M/J visa, my prior visa in the same classification and same Academic Institution is still valid or expired within the last 48 months; Note: F/M visa interview applicants must submit their original I-20 form and J visa interview waiver applicants must submit their original DS-2019 form along with their passport.

My prior visa is in the same classfication and same Academic Insitution expired in the last 30 months. So, shouldn't I be eligible for the dropbox? The reason for asking this is, when I try to schedule an appointment, there is only one option for this clause. I've never come across this situation on the web and seeking your help.

Thanks.

Getting back to the same point

If I am applying for an F/M/J visa, my prior visa in the same classification and same Academic Institution is still valid or expired within the last 48 months; Note: F/M visa interview applicants must submit their original I-20 form and J visa interview waiver applicants must submit their original DS-2019 form along with their passport.

My prior visa is in the same classfication and same Academic Insitution expired in the last 30 months. So, shouldn't I be eligible for the dropbox? The reason for asking this is, when I try to schedule an appointment, there is only one option for this clause. I've never come across this situation on the web and seeking your help.

Thanks.

My understanding is if you are applying for a F1 visa (same visa classification) for the same academic institution valid or expired within the last 48 months then you are eligible for a drop box. But, since your visa class is  same but academic institution is now different I doubt that you are eligible. I might be wrong in my interpretation.

My understanding is if you are applying for a F1 visa (same visa classification) for the same academic institution valid or expired within the last 48 months then you are eligible for a drop box. But, since your visa class is  same but academic institution is now different I doubt that you are eligible. I might be wrong in my interpretation.

I believe even in the case of H-1 being a non-immigrant visa, when we have the visa stamped in the home country (or same location you are applying the second time), you would be eligible for a dropbox right even though your employer has changed and you filed a new LCA? I may be wrong but, I was just wondering if this isn't similar to my case?

I believe even in the case of H-1 being a non-immigrant visa, when we have the visa stamped in the home country (or same location you are applying the second time), you would be eligible for a dropbox right even though your employer has changed and you filed a new LCA? I may be wrong but, I was just wondering if this isn't similar to my case?

No, if one has changed employer on a H1B then one is not eligible for drop box.

Also, you have to look at J visa eligibility for drop box. There is no mention of same employer or same institution other than same classification to be eligible for drop box. But, same academic institution and same petitioner is mentioned for F and H1B respectively in addition to same visa classification.

Also, you have to look at J visa eligibility for drop box. There is no mention of same employer or same institution other than same classification to be eligible for drop box. But, same academic institution and same petitioner is mentioned for F and H1B respectively in addition to same visa classification.

Thank you but I have a couple of questions.

1) Would I be eligigble for a J visa?

2) Would the checklist of documents be the same when I've attended the consulate the first time? (The reason for asking this is because, all my GRE, TOEFL/IELTS scores expired by now. Also, should I be showing affidavits of how I'll be supporting my education? If yes, could that be an US Bank Account balance or should be an Indian Bank Account?)

3) While filling up the DS forms, what address should I be mentioning? The US address or India address?

4) Also, there is a column on the DS form which asks where would I be staying during the Masters? Since, I'll be staying near the University I'll mention that address but again, should this address be same as the address mentioned in the early part of the form (My Question-3 in this reply)?

All your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you but I have a couple of questions.

1) Would I be eligigble for a J visa?

2) Would the checklist of documents be the same when I've attended the consulate the first time? (The reason for asking this is because, all my GRE, TOEFL/IELTS scores expired by now. Also, should I be showing affidavits of how I'll be supporting my education? If yes, could that be an US Bank Account balance or should be an Indian Bank Account?)

3) While filling up the DS forms, what address should I be mentioning? The US address or India address?

4) Also, there is a column on the DS form which asks where would I be staying during the Masters? Since, I'll be staying near the University I'll mention that address but again, should this address be same as the address mentioned in the early part of the form (My Question-3 in this reply)?

Thanks.

You misunderstood me. I was pointing out that for drop box eligibility there is specific mention of same academic institution or employer. In your case you are now in a new academic institution and that will disqualify you from drop box eligibility.

You misunderstood me. I was pointing out that for drop box eligibility there is specific mention of same academic institution or employer. In your case you are now in a new academic institution and that will disqualify you from drop box eligibility.

Thanks jairichi for the reply. I did check with Stanley team and confirmed that I'll not be eligible for dropbox. Also, could you please answer my other questions in the previous post? I was wondering what if the address or any other information is incorrect in the DS-forms would lead to? I've scheduled my interview and is there a chance I can edit the DS-forms just in case to correct fields like address.

Thanks.

Thanks jairichi for the reply. I did check with Stanley team and confirmed that I'll not be eligible for dropbox. Also, could you please answer my other questions in the previous post? I was wondering what if the address or any other information is incorrect in the DS-forms would lead to? I've scheduled my interview and is there a chance I can edit the DS-forms just in case to correct fields like address.

Thanks.

Good to know you clarified your doubts with Stanley center. 

You need to create a profile and pay the consular fees and book an appointment through the following website.

www.ustraveldocs.com/in

If you have not submitted the DS160 application you can edit but if you have submitted then you have to create a new DS160 and use that to pay consular fees and book appointment.

Good to know you clarified your doubts with Stanley center. 

You need to create a profile and pay the consular fees and book an appointment through the following website.

www.ustraveldocs.com/in

If you have not submitted the DS160 application you can edit but if you have submitted then you have to create a new DS160 and use that to pay consular fees and book appointment.

I did schedule an appointment already and I wonder that I can do it only if the DS-160 forms are submitted. So, in case of incorrect physical address, should I reschedule the consular appointment again? Again, could you please answer my previous question about the physical address in the DS forms.

Thanks.

I did schedule an appointment already and I wonder that I can do it only if the DS-160 forms are submitted. So, in case of incorrect physical address, should I reschedule the consular appointment again? Again, could you please answer my previous question about the physical address in the DS forms.

Thanks.

You should provide your US address for place of stay during your master's. The other could be your permanent address in India or US address.

You should provide your US address for place of stay during your master's. The other could be your permanent address in India or US address.

OK Thank you. Should I be showing a copy of my I-94 at visa consular appointment? Also, hoping that my stamping goes well and I return back to US. Does it matter what POE I take?

Carrying a copy of I94 is fine but not required. POE does not matter.

Thank you. My university is not a for-profit university but a private university. Does that raise any flags with my visa interview? Also, since all my GRE, TOEFL/IELTS scores expired by now, what questions might the Consular officer pose to me? Any useful information provided is highly appreciated.

Thank you. My university is not a for-profit university but a private university. Does that raise any flags with my visa interview? Also, since all my GRE, TOEFL/IELTS scores expired by now, what questions might the Consular officer pose to me? Any useful information provided is highly appreciated.

So, is it a non-profit, private university? As long as your university is accredited and nothing shady going on in your university you are fine. Carry your score sheets even if they are expired. VO might not ask for them.

So, is it a non-profit, private university? As long as your university is accredited and nothing shady going on in your university you are fine. Carry your score sheets even if they are expired. VO might not ask for them.

Yes, there isn't anything shady, its an accredited university and a 100 year old university. I was just going through the some FAQs and found about uploading a photograph while filling DS-160 forms. I didn't come across any such option when I've filled them before scheduling an appointment for visa interview. Is this something I should panic about? How could I resolve it?

Thanks

Yes, there isn't anything shady, its an accredited university and a 100 year old university. I was just going through the some FAQs and found about uploading a photograph while filling DS-160 forms. I didn't come across any such option when I've filled them before scheduling an appointment for visa interview. Is this something I should panic about? How could I resolve it?

Thanks

Do not worry. Photos are taken at OFC when you go for biometrics in India.

Archived