H1 approved but COS denied

hemant_d

Hi,

I applied for change of Status of visa  from H4 to H1 in March 2013.  

After applying I went back to India  in Apr 2013 as my h4 visa was expired on 31st March 2013.  I got a RFE asking for i94. So I came back in Aug 2013 & responded the RFE.

I got the H1 approved in Nov 2013 BUT COS did not happen & they requested me to go to India consulate for stamping, Only then I will be able to work on H1.

Is there any option for me to avoid travel to india & get my COS done ?

Thanks in advance.

Hemant

Hi,

I applied for change of Status of visa  from H4 to H1 in March 2013.  

After applying I went back to India  in Apr 2013 as my h4 visa was expired on 31st March 2013.  I got a RFE asking for i94. So I came back in Aug 2013 & responded the RFE.

I got the H1 approved in Nov 2013 BUT COS did not happen & they requested me to go to India consulate for stamping, Only then I will be able to work on H1.

Is there any option for me to avoid travel to india & get my COS done ?

Thanks in advance.

Hemant

You can travel to Jamaica or Bahamas or UK and get your H1B visa.

Guys,

as you know in my case, COS doing now is one option & other option is go to India & get stamp done.

Which one is having more risk ?

COS filing now is as good as filing a fresh H1 ? If yes, can my H1 get rejected , which is already approved ? or its just the case (at worst case) only my COS will get rejected again ? 

What is the cost of COS ?

My employer says all the guys who has filed the h1 & cos gone well as they did not left USA.

Thanks in advance  

@

JoeF, Thanks for response. But as my H1 is not approved I will not be get paid...

That is correct. You are currently on H4 status as COS is denied.

Guys,

as you know in my case, COS doing now is one option & other option is go to India & get stamp done.

Which one is having more risk ?

COS filing now is as good as filing a fresh H1 ? If yes, can my H1 get rejected , which is already approved ? or its just the case (at worst case) only my COS will get rejected again ? 

What is the cost of COS ?

My employer says all the guys who has filed the h1 & cos gone well as they did not left USA.

Thanks in advance  

COS has to be applied by employer and employer has to pay again H1B fees. I am sure your employer would not be interested in this route. The other option is exiting US and applying for a H1B visa. If it was mentioned in your I797 to go for visa stamping at US consulate in India you have no option other than doing so. Whether your company is a big one or not it does not matter for USCIS & US consulate. What matters the most is whether you have all required documents to succeed in getting a H1B visa. Check this with an independent attorney.

Then why did you said your H1 is not approved?? Are you confused about your H1??

Like @joe said, just do it. If you are not sure what to do, then contact some attorney ASAP.

well sorry for confusion, the final fact is , h1 is approved with COS denial .. 

Now i am wondering if i should file COS or go for stamping.. Yes i will consult attorney .. 

well sorry for confusion, the final fact is , h1 is approved with COS denial .. 

Now i am wondering if i should file COS or go for stamping.. Yes i will consult attorney .. 

Your employer can file a COS and pay all H1B fees again or you can leave and enter US with a H1B visa. COS petition approval takes a minimum of 3 months for approval by regular processing or 15 calendar days by premium processing.

Good that you have not started to work as you are still on H4 status.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Archived