Arrest expunged, GC approved, keep getting stopped at Immigration

Apple cider

Three years ago I was arrested on shoplifting charges and finger printed. The case was dismissed at court and arrest was expunged within a couple of months. Since then my green card petition has been processed and approved. However every time I travel outside the country, I am stopped for secondary interview which often requires waiting for hours for my turn and has caused me to miss connecting flights on a few occasions. The interview itself takes a few minutes to clear - it is the long wait I wish to avoid. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this - like applying for pre-approval or clearance before travel? I am eligible for naturalization but I do not wish to do so as I do not intend to live in US forever.

Three years ago I was arrested on shoplifting charges and finger printed. The case was dismissed at court and arrest was expunged within a couple of months. Since then my green card petition has been processed and approved. However every time I travel outside the country, I am stopped for secondary interview which often requires waiting for hours for my turn and has caused me to miss connecting flights on a few occasions. The interview itself takes a few minutes to clear - it is the long wait I wish to avoid. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this - like applying for pre-approval or clearance before travel? I am eligible for naturalization but I do not wish to do so as I do not intend to live in US forever.

Well, talk to an immigration attorney and look at options.

• 1 month later...

Archived