Naturalization (N400) + Civil Case

bhadau12

Hello everyone, I have a few questions about the N400 process that I would like to clarify with the community.

I will be eligibile to apply for Naturalization in the next 6 months and have begun planning. I plan to hire an attorney just to be on the safer side. In the mean time, I have these questions.

1. AR-11, how important are these? I have moved to a couple of new places in the past year or so but forgot to submit the AR-11. Will this come back to haunt me? 

2. Civil cases: I received a ticket on the NYC subway (By the Transit Adjudication Bureau) and paid the fine. Will Civil cases show up on background checks done for Naturalization? Will this be an issue?

3. I do have a small thing that's bothering me about the Subway ticket. I actually got this ticket before I filed for my GC (about 6 years ago). Due to my lack of knowledge of the process at that time and since I had a lawyer (again since I didn't have much knowledge to do everything myself), my lawyer handled all the paperwork and the forms etc. I believe at the time, we might not have mentioned this subway ticket on the I-485 and nothing came up at the interview. Now it's bothering me to some extent if this will be an issue when I apply for Naturalization. 

Questions:

a. How big of an issue will this be for me (that I didn't mention this on the I-485 and if I do mention it on the N400)?

b. Should I mention this on my N400 for the question where it asks if you are cited? The ticket received was a summons by the Transit Adjudication Bureau and I didn't fight it and simply paid the fine.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Thank you for the reply. I will file the AR-11 right away for my current address. As for the subway ticket, not exactly for turnstile jumping but it was indeed for fair evasion (not intentional by any means.) There was a $100 fine for it which I paid right away.

My question is, since this is a civil case, no arrests, just fine, should I even mention this on my N400?

1. Inform them now. It is extremely important.

2. Mention the ticket where asked and explain. Hopefully not turnstile jumping?

3. You seem fine. A lawyer may be overkill.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Inform them now. It is extremely important.

2. Mention the ticket where asked and explain. Hopefully not turnstile jumping?

3. You seem fine. A lawyer may be overkill.

Sorry for an add on: I am also preparing my Citizenship application and had a question on AR11. Do we need to submit the receipt? I did an AR11 (7 years ago) but cannot find the receipt (generated online). 

Sorry for an add on: I am also preparing my Citizenship application and had a question on AR11. Do we need to submit the receipt? I did an AR11 (7 years ago) but cannot find the receipt (generated online). 

I don't think so. I had the receipt for my AR11, but they didn't ask for it.

They just want to be sure they have your current address.

Thank you everyone! After some search I did find the AR11 receipts. (I had it with the rest of my papers that pertained to my GC filing, duh...)

@Ponte: I have not applied yet. You mean the file that pertains to the GC?

Thanks,

- GcLLC

They have all your applications you ever had in a file, which is indexed under your A#.

The officer will browse through the file at the interview. Hence it is important to have all your ducks in a row, like to make sure that they have your current address.

• 3 months later...

A payment of fine is an admission of guilt. I am wondering, how are you saying that its a civil case??

Thank you for the reply. I will file the AR-11 right away for my current address. As for the subway ticket, not exactly for turnstile jumping but it was indeed for fair evasion (not intentional by any means.) There was a $100 fine for it which I paid right away.

My question is, since this is a civil case, no arrests, just fine, should I even mention this on my N400?

Archived