On H1-B, Can I marry a person on Visitor Visa in USA?

Rambhatla1205

Hello,

I recently started my H1B from October 1st. My fiancee lives in Canada, he is on work permit. We cannot go India ti get married because of visa stamping issues. If he comes to USA on visitor visa, Can we marry in USA. After that can I sponsor H4 visa to him. So that we want to apply for H4 to H1. Also, let me know the timeline for the entire process. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello,

I recently started my H1B from October 1st. My fiancee lives in Canada, he is on work permit. We cannot go India ti get married because of visa stamping issues. If he comes to USA on visitor visa, Can we marry in USA. After that can I sponsor H4 visa to him. So that we want to apply for H4 to H1. Also, let me know the timeline for the entire process. Thanks a lot in advance.

Yes, you can go for a court marriage in US. Later, he can either return to Canada and apply for H4 visa to return to US or in US he can apply for change of status to H4. I hope you know that he cannot work on H4.

Yes, you can go for a court marriage in US. Later, he can either return to Canada and apply for H4 visa to return to US or in US he can apply for change of status to H4. I hope you know that he cannot work on H4.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So once he returns to Canada, and if I apply for H4 visa, where can he get visa stamped (H4). I do know that he cannot work on H4 but we plan to apply for H1-B. What is approximate timeline for the approval of H4.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So once he returns to Canada, and if I apply for H4 visa, where can he get visa stamped (H4). I do know that he cannot work on H4 but we plan to apply for H1-B. What is approximate timeline for the approval of H4.

Since he is on a work permit in Canada he can apply for a H4 visa at US consulate at Canada. Approval will be immediate if your documents are good.

Since he is on a work permit in Canada he can apply for a H4 visa at US consulate at Canada. Approval will be immediate if your documents are good.

Thanks for info. He will go back to Canada after getting married. Then how can I apply for H4 for him, Please provide for info source. If he got H4, can' he go back to Canada to work and visit me frequently in USA. I appreciate your help

Archived