Status not updated from H4 to H1

write2kumudha

Hi,

I was on H4 and applied for H1 and it got approved in Jul and for some reason my husband had to change a job and they filed a new H1 and my H4, which is valid till 2015. Last week I went to SSN office to apply for a new SSN and she said she was not able to verify my status and took a copy of I-797(H1 copy) .I got a letter 2 days back stating they cannot issue  me a card. So, when we went to SSN office they said that my status is showing H4 so need to get it updated from USICS. When I called them they said we cannot walk to the office directly and to book an appointment. I booked and the latest one I could get is on Nov 6th.

I have attended couple of interviews and all are in the state of getting finalized, but I cannot work without SSN..

My questions:

1. If I go on 6th will they be able to change my status immediately meaning same day or will  I need to wait for a longer time?

2. Is there anyway they can update my status in SSN office?

3. or what is needs to be done to change my status from H4 to H1? and I get my SSN within 2-3 weeks?

Any help regarding the issue is appreciable.

Regards,

Kumuda

Hi,

I was on H4 and applied for H1 and it got approved in Jul and for some reason my husband had to change a job and they filed a new H1 and my H4, which is valid till 2015. Last week I went to SSN office to apply for a new SSN and she said she was not able to verify my status and took a copy of I-797(H1 copy) .I got a letter 2 days back stating they cannot issue  me a card. So, when we went to SSN office they said that my status is showing H4 so need to get it updated from USICS. When I called them they said we cannot walk to the office directly and to book an appointment. I booked and the latest one I could get is on Nov 6th.

I have attended couple of interviews and all are in the state of getting finalized, but I cannot work without SSN..

My questions:

1. If I go on 6th will they be able to change my status immediately meaning same day or will  I need to wait for a longer time?

2. Is there anyway they can update my status in SSN office?

3. or what is needs to be done to change my status from H4 to H1? and I get my SSN within 2-3 weeks?

Any help regarding the issue is appreciable.

Regards,

Kumuda

When new employer filed your husband's new H1B petition did they file H4 for you? If yes, was the approval with new employer obtained after your H1B approval? If yes, then you are on H4 status now.

1. If that is the case you need to exit and enter US with H1B visa

2. Not without H1B status

3. Option 1.

Archived