Lost EAD card after starting to work

maru58

Thank you both very much. I wonder how the USCIS can check if the employee has the EAD card in hand before starting to work? Cause it's pretty hard to check that? 

Would you be denied future visa opportunity because you worked after your EAD being approved but before receiving your EAD card?

Thank you both very much. I wonder how the USCIS can check if the employee has the EAD card in hand before starting to work? Cause it's pretty hard to check that? 

Would you be denied future visa opportunity because you worked after your EAD being approved but before receiving your EAD card?

Well, you have a photocopy of your lost EAD card and you have applied for a duplicate.

What you mean by saying "worked after your EAD being approved but before receiving your EAD card?". What exactly is your situation now?

Well, you have a photocopy of your lost EAD card and you have applied for a duplicate.

What you mean by saying "worked after your EAD being approved but before receiving your EAD card?". What exactly is your situation now?

My situation is:

- I was about to volunteer to do research for my professor during the first few months of my OPT until I can find the full time job.

- Prior to the start date on my OPT, I traveled back home in Germany to visit my family. I asked my professor about it and she said I could started working on OPT while I was in Germany as soon as I received the EAD card. My I-20 was already expired.

- My professor wrote an employment letter and sent it to the school's DSO to issue me a new OPT I-20 with the employer being my school.

- A week after the notification on USCIS saying they had sent out my card, my roommate in the US received the mail for me and told me the card arrived, which I told my professor and I started working for her.

- Close to the date I had to come back to the US, my roommate mailed me the card to Germany, unfortunately it was lost by the German post.

- I came back to the US continuing work for my professor and applied for a replacement. 

My situation is:

- I was about to volunteer to do research for my professor during the first few months of my OPT until I can find the full time job.

- Prior to the start date on my OPT, I traveled back home in Germany to visit my family. I asked my professor about it and she said I could started working on OPT while I was in Germany as soon as I received the EAD card. My I-20 was already expired.

- My professor wrote an employment letter and sent it to the school's DSO to issue me a new OPT I-20 with the employer being my school.

- A week after the notification on USCIS saying they had sent out my card, my roommate in the US received the mail for me and told me the card arrived, which I told my professor and I started working for her.

- Close to the date I had to come back to the US, my roommate mailed me the card to Germany, unfortunately it was lost by the German post.

- I came back to the US continuing work for my professor and applied for a replacement. 

So, other than your friend informing you of receipt of EAD you have no other proof to back it up. Do you have at least the notification that your EAD is approved?

Why did you mention in your post that employer examined your card and made a photocopy?

And, how did they employ you without verifying your EAD? That is clear negligence from your school's side.

So, other than your friend informing you of receipt of EAD you have no other proof to back it up. Do you have at least the notification that your EAD is approved?

Why did you mention in your post that employer examined your card and made a photocopy?

And, how did they employ you without verifying your EAD? That is clear negligence from your school's side.

I have the case number and on the USCIS website it said my EAD was approved and my card was sent on this day

My professor got the information about my EAD approved from my school's DSO and my roommate did send her the card to examine. However, she told me later yesterday that she did not make a photocopy of it as I thought she did. She just looked at it.

Do I get into trouble with this? 

• 4 weeks later...

Ask the USCIS to issue you a replacement EAD card, if possible. You will need the original card and copies of it if you choose to ever apply for an H-1B visa in future, as well as for all further USCIS-related applications.

I got the replacement some weeks ago. Now I'm applying for OPT extension. Do I get into trouble because I don't have a copy of the EAD I lost. Thanks.

Archived