H4 to H1 Visa + SSN query

rams_135

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and my expiry is till Jun 2015. Now i got H1 approved last month (start date as 1st Oct) and yet to get SSN (which may delay for one more month) to start working.
Till i get SSN my status will be on h4 or H1 ? because i didnt started working yet as i dont have SSN.
also, do i need to pay tax starting from 1st Oct though i dont have the SSN ? 

Thanks.

SSN has NO CONNECTION to starting work. The payroll software will deal with that. Taxes will be deducted in your pay check unless you are working for a rogue company. At the same time you have the option of reporting up to 60 days after approval for reasons other than not having a SSN. What does your HR say? Did you tell them you are there to report for work?

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and my expiry is till Jun 2015. Now i got H1 approved last month (start date as 1st Oct) and yet to get SSN (which may delay for one more month) to start working.

Till i get SSN my status will be on h4 or H1 ? because i didnt started working yet as i dont have SSN.

also, do i need to pay tax starting from 1st Oct though i dont have the SSN ? 

Thanks.

If it is a change of status from H4 to H1B then from Oct 1st 2013 you are on H1B status. You need to be working and paid from Oct 1st 2013 with or without SSN. Otherwise you are out of status.

Archived