Child with B1/B2 transfer to H4 in the USA

fwmacias

Good morning everyone

I have a 15 y/o boy that recently came to the US on a B1/B2 visa to live with me, I am a H1B visa holder and the rest of my family -wife and 2 other kids are H4. We are all Ecuadorian citizens. Is it possible that my son change his visa status to H4 as the rest of my family without him having to return to our home country while he stays in the US. His permission to stay in the US expires in March 2014 so I hope to be able to change his status before the expiration. 

I consulted a lawyer who told me that he needs to go back to Ecuador and apply to H4 at the American Consulate and I wish to avoid that if possible.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thank you for your answer. I am trying to avoid him the need to return to my home country to do the process and I want to know if I can do it while he is here living with me. The lawyer told me he has to go back and I need to either confirm that is the only way to do it or if in your professional opinion it can be done here in the US. He came on B1/B2 just because he planned to stay for a visit only but while being here decided he wants to stay. 

Thanks again

He is my first kid but he stayed in my country, now he is 15 years old and he was living with my ex-wife while I was here in the US. He decided to visit me and during the visit told me that he wanted to stay. I want him to stay and do the application for H4 before the expiration of his legal stay. Is that possible? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived