H1-B Expires before the Labor Approval

lsm08

Hi,

My PERM was filed on June 15, 2013.

My H1-B expires on November 15th, 2013. I won't be able to get my PERM approval before my H1 expires. So I will not be able to work after Nov 15th. Is there any other option to get an extention or expedite the PERM process.

How many days after H1-B expires am I allowed to stay in US? Will that hurt any of my future immigration processes if I do that? 

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Unfortunately you'll have to leave US after your H1/I-94 expires and cannot extend your H1 just based on PERM Approval. You'll need I-140 approved too.

PERM cannot be expedited. Usually it takes atleast 6 months to get results.

But your employer upon your PERM Approval can file for your I-140 in PP and once it gets approved can file for your H1 extension and then you can come back.

• 1 month later...

i am in a similar situation. it's clear that employer (A) who file the PERM (that's been since approved) cannot file for H1 extension, without an approved i-140 or an I-140 petition pending for more than 365 days. But can a different employer (B)  file for H1 extension, based on approved PERM from A ? if yes, should B apply for I-140 and get it approved (or when pending over 365 days) before doing so ?

Archived