Is it legal for H1B doing another project without payment.

yuyu2013

Right now I'm on H1B, I works for a company. Now my friends want me to help them about the project. My role in this project will be a advisory committee, without payment. All I need to do is to give them a support letter and some advise. I want to ask if this is legal. Thank you for letting me know.

Right now I'm on H1B, I works for a company. Now my friends want me to help them about the project. My role in this project will be a advisory committee, without payment. All I need to do is to give them a support letter and some advise. I want to ask if this is legal. Thank you for letting me know.

I do not think you can

No, that is NOT legal.

It would be work, and on H1, you can only work for your employer.

You can advise a friend. But what did you mean about letter of support?

From the OP's post: "My role in this project will be a advisory committee,"

This is not just "advising a friend". That's obviously part of a work project. That makes it work.

A person can advise a friend about things like buying car x or y. But certainly not about some work project.

Archived