parents visitor visa rejected - please help

H4toF1_COS

My parents' visitor visa was rejected in mumbai last week.  Here is how the interview went. It was in gujarati.

1. officer: How many daughters you have?

mom: two daughters

2. officer: Your daughter went to US on H4 visa, how can she sponsor you?

dad: She went initially on H4, but now she is on F1 visa(OPT).

3. officer:  So she is a student, how can she sponsor you?

dad: She has completed studies, currently she is working full time on OPT.

4. officer: How much is your annual income:

mom: stated her income

dad: stated his income

officer: You are not capable to go to USA. you visa is rejected.

The officer did not ask for a single document.

Both my parents are working in private companies. Thier combined annual income is under 5 lakh. This is the reason I was sponsoring them.  From the interview, it looks like, the officer felt, my parents are not finacially capable because of their annual income and I am not capable of sponsoring them because I am on OPT. 

I am thinking to send them again for interview next month. What do you suggest I change in my parents' case?

If we show my parents as self sponsor, the officer can reject the visa under the same reason again because of their annual income.

We are thinking to show my husband as their sponsor. Should that improve the chances here?

We are really confused as to why the visa was rejected and how can we improve our chances next time. Please help. Thank you.

My parents' visitor visa was rejected in mumbai last week.  Here is how the interview went. It was in gujarati.

Both my parents are working in private companies. Thier combined annual income is under 5 lakh. This is the reason I was sponsoring them.  From the interview, it looks like, the officer felt, my parents are not finacially capable because of their annual income and I am not capable of sponsoring them because I am on OPT. 

I am thinking to send them again for interview next month. What do you suggest I change in my parents' case?

If we show my parents as self sponsor, the officer can reject the visa under the same reason again because of their annual income.

We are thinking to show my husband as their sponsor. Should that improve the chances here?

We are really confused as to why the visa was rejected and how can we improve our chances next time. Please help. Thank you.

Get the help of a good attorney before going again for visa interview

Simple, you are a student and you are supposed to leave US after your OPT so how can you sponsor your parents?? Moreover their is nothing called sponsorship for visiting visa. So do not mess up their chances by 'sponsoring'.

For visiting visa  all they have to do is , show strong ties back in India like property, job, business etc. That's it.

There is a problem of loose translation and semantics involved. It is not possible to ask why your daughter is sponsoring as there is no concept of sponsorship for a tourist visa. If you ignore the other rude post and stay out of it and have them come for say 4 weeks in summer or an appropriate time based on the area you are in they have a good chance. Is your college kosher? That could also come into play.

Did you send the I-134 for your parents? Sending I-134 should not be a negative point while applying for B2 visa for parents in my opinion. But if they can self sponsor its much better for sure. 

The VO kept stressing the fact that they cant finance their trip 

Try changing that in your application

I agree to that. If you can establish that you are in position to sponsor the trip for them that should take some of the doubts off. And since your parents are working ties to India should be easy to establish. Good Luck. 

If they are working and have planned a 6 month visit, it is obvious that there is more than a simple visit.

How long did they say they planned to stay?  (For example, I am planning a 3 WEEK trip and am worried about how everything I need to do at home will be done during that time.)

They were planning to stay with me for 1month only.  I had sent the I-134 for support. I had also sent my employer letter, salary slip and bank statment. If the VO had asked for it, I think she would have been convinced that I am financial strong enought to support them.  But the VO did not ask for any documents. My parents do not own property in india.  They can show some bank balance, but their annual income is not going to change.  So I am not sure how can I show they are capable of sponsoring themselves. Plus the VO did not even ask for their bank statment or anything. The VO just asked about their annual income and rejected the visa.

There is a problem of loose translation and semantics involved. It is not possible to ask why your daughter is sponsoring as there is no concept of sponsorship for a tourist visa. If you ignore the other rude post and stay out of it and have them come for say 4 weeks in summer or an appropriate time based on the area you are in they have a good chance. Is your college kosher? That could also come into play.

Thanks for your reply pontevecchio. I graduated from a top 20 university and now work for a well known software company. I understand there is no concept of sponsorship for a tourist visa. I am talking about sponsoring my parents trip. The form DS-160 has a section that requires you to provide information regarding who is going to bear the trip expenses. Based on the interview, we are speculating that the VO denied my parents visa request based on their ability to pay for the trip, questioning how their daughter can pay for the trip while on a student visa. The VO did not care to check the bank statements that I had provided along with my pay stubs and employment verification letter. Do you think it will help if they reapply with my husband (on h1) bearing the costs of their trip?

Archived