Can my tuition waiver be part of my compensation for H1B?

Lin

I am a PhD student and teach on campus. The university would like me to become an assisstant professor. I am wondering if it is OK to transfer from F1 to H1B. The university would not pay me the full salary but waive my PhD tuition. If I transfer my status, I will continue my PhD part time. Can the PhD tuition be considered as part of my compensation in order to meet the H1B salary requirement?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

I am a PhD student and teach on campus. The university would like me to become an assisstant professor. I am wondering if it is OK to transfer from F1 to H1B. The university would not pay me the full salary but waive my PhD tuition. If I transfer my status, I will continue my PhD part time. Can the PhD tuition be considered as part of my compensation in order to meet the H1B salary requirement?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

I believe no. On H1B you need to be paid as salary mentioned on your LCA.

And, how could you be an assistant professor with out a PhD degree? Care to tell us name of the university? Also, is it possible to do a part time PhD on a H1B?

I believe no. On H1B you need to be paid as salary mentioned on your LCA.

And, how could you be an assistant professor with out a PhD degree? Care to tell us name of the university? Also, is it possible to do a part time PhD on a H1B?

Probably a lecturer, not an assistant professor. A friend of mine got a lecturer position before finishing his PhD these, with the requirement to finish within a year.

ANd of course it is possible to study parttime while on H1. That is independent of for which degree it is. It is just very hard to do while working.

Probably a lecturer, not an assistant professor. A friend of mine got a lecturer position before finishing his PhD these, with the requirement to finish within a year.

ANd of course it is possible to study parttime while on H1. That is independent of for which degree it is. It is just very hard to do while working.

@ JoeF: Thanks for the clarification

Archived