OPT EAD question

visaadvise

Hi,

My Post completion EAD(OPT) started in May 2013 and its valid till May 2014. I have not been gainfully employed as of  today. My school says I don't have to worry about it and I am asked to let them know once I find a job. I would like to confirm if really there is no time based restriction to find a job using this OPT EAD. Can anyone please clarify about my situation? 

Regards

Hi,

My Post completion EAD(OPT) started in May 2013 and its valid till May 2014. I have not been gainfully employed as of  today. My school says I don't have to worry about it and I am asked to let them know once I find a job. I would like to confirm if really there is no time based restriction to find a job using this OPT EAD. Can anyone please clarify about my situation? 

Regards

In OPT you are not supposed to be unemployed for more than 90days. If not your ext will be rejected.

"Employment Requirements

• Directly related to the field of study listed on the I-20
  • Must be at least 20 hours per week
  • May be paid or unpaid. If you will not be paid, we recommend that you obtain a letter detailing your work and dates of volunteering for proof of having maintained F-1 status.
  • May be for multiple employers (all employment must be related to your degree)
  • May be short-term multiple employers (primarily for performing artists having “gigs”
  • May be work-for-hire (contract work where you are performing a service which may not constitute formal career employment)
  • May be self-employed business owner
  • May be through an agency
  • Note: In all cases, you must be able to provide some form of proof of your employment including dates, duration, names of employer/contract, companies/agencies that can verify the job you did. If you are self-employed, you must be able to show proof of proper business licenses (if necessary) and active engagement."

Please note the above and act accordingly.

Archived